I got a photo with Sven Goran Eriksson when he was Leicester City FC manager a decade or so ago.

Hardly The Queen, but he’s a significant improvement over my #2. (Samantha Bailey).

• GreyShuck@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I was Terry Pratchett’s gofer at an event once, quite early in his career.

I have met and chatted with Prof Ron Hutton a couple of times.

I ferried Portillo across a river for one of his shows - and was briefly featured as a result. He was an arrogant git.

Others would include Roy Hudd, Tony Benn, Swampy, Chris Packham and probably a couple of others.

• snaprails@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I ferried Portillo across a river for one of his shows - and was briefly featured as a result. He was an arrogant git.

Do you still regret the missed opportunity? :-)

• ᴇᴍᴘᴇʀᴏʀ 帝@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I used to help run the book signings at a big literary festival so got to meet all sorts who were in the news at the time including various politicians and a handful of the Beirut hostages.

The most famous, especially back then, was Salman Rushdie. His appearance made headlines as he was still in strict seclusion. I tried to throw out his close security guard who explained why that would be a bad idea. He was clearly the meatshield and I reckon if he’d have been around Riahide might not have been so badly injured.

The nicest celeb was Richard E. Grant who worked hard than anyone else to ensure that everyone got as much time as they wanted with him, despite also having one of the longest queues.

The one that really left an impression was Wilfred Thesiger - it felt like he’d stepped out from a different time.

• ᴇᴍᴘᴇʀᴏʀ 帝@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Oh and Cecil Parkinson called my Dad “a horrible little man with a childish schoolboy sense of humour” which he wore as a badge of pride, especially after the news came out about what a shithouse CP was.

• FatLegTed@feddit.uk
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

KCIII back in the 70s, when he visited the factory I worked at, Cossor, in Harlow.

Shook my hand and called me by my nickname that was on a sign on the front of my workbench.

At the end of the visit, everyone was outside to building to wave the Kingy to be off, one of the the blokes wives ran out and kissed him on the cheek. It made national news and before long was happening every time he went somewhere.

ISTR he actually flew the helicopter off himself.

The next day someone had added ‘By Royal Appointment’ to my sign.

• Bob Robertson IX
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Madonna, I was 13 years old and was an extra on A League of Their Own and I ran into her on set. I was nervous but she gave me her time and was gracious enough to talk to me… in fact, everyone on the set was very open and willing to talk with the extras, except for Tom Hanks. He would do his scenes and then exit as quickly as possible, while avoiding talking with people.

• dave@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Narrowly missed out on spending the day with Patrick Stewart at an event in London. My wife went instead and she doesn’t even like Star Trek. She said he was very nice though.

• hubobes@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

President of my country and if I do not explain further it will sound far more impressive.

In Switzerland they just walk past you sometimes and respond if you talk to them

• noughtnaut@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Do we still remember Michael Hutchence (of INXS)? I had lunch with him once, simply because my lunch break coincided with him waiting to be on the show I was a tech on. Pleasant fellow, shame he died early.

• Jarix@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I was thinking about him the other day.

Heard a cover of the devil inside.

Ill see if i can remember who did it

• Sizzler@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I’ve got famous family members so I won’t count them, for me it was either Jarvis Cocker or Craig Charles both hugely influential when I was a youth and both were great people to meet.

• ProfessorOwl_PhD [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

My sister met the queen during the golden jubilee celebrations. Her take away was that the queen was rude and needed to learn some basic manners like using “please” and “thank you”.

• frazorth@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I met Samuel L Jackson when he was filming in Liverpool.

He told me to go away.

One time we were in the pub my wife annoyed Chris Tarrent by chatting with his wife at the bar so he was left standing on his own for about 20 mins. You could see the annoyance on his face from being ignored growing. Classic.