• mustGo [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Seeing so many people misinterpret Star Ship Troopers, Disco Elysium and other obvious stuff, makes me think that every piece of media should have the writer, director and all protagonist characters come on screen at the end and say into the camera “The usa and capitalism are the big Satan. Communism is good. This is the actual unironic core meaning of this piece of art.” before the credits roll.

• Tankiedesantski [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

“The usa and capitalism are the big Satan. Communism is good. This is the actual unironic core meaning of this piece of art.”

“What did the director mean by this?”

• beef_curds [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Wouldn’t do a damn bit of good. People were quoting Verhoeven explicitly saying what this movie was about to these fash, and the fash were just replying “well just because he made it doesn’t mean he knows what it means.”

I guess “death of the author” pleading has reached them, lmaoo.

• Great_Leader_Is_Dead@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

That wouldn’t work. FYI fash are a bit more self aware then I think most of us realize, when they say shit like this they kinda know they’re taking the piss, but they don’t care. Fascism is a narcissistic ideology, they literally think reality warps around their mind, so it doesn’t matter if God himself descended from the heavens to tell them they’re wrong, if they want to be right they will be right.

• Adkml [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

This is why I think people are wrong when they say that “Don’t look up” is too heavy handed.

Feel like part of the theme was just how explicit you had to be for people to understand your metaphor. And even then you had a bunch of people saying it was about covid.

You need your main character to spend 2 minutes screaming at the camera about what the movie is saying to reach these people.

• KobaCumTribute [she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if you are writing and have a point you need to literally, textually beat the reader over and about the head with it while unambiguously yelling exactly what you mean, or they will miss the point and walk away with the opposite conclusion that you intended. Every work of fiction should be at risk of turning into a polemic. Symbolism, subtlety, and allegory are tasty treats that authors are only allowed to have after they’ve bluntly made their point.

• autismdragon [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.netOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Ok but counterpoint, that sounds like a really unfun, boring, and artistically questionable way to write fiction.

Honestly i think the solution is just accepting that morons are not the responsability of the author lol

• KobaCumTribute [she/her]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

The real solution is more just being conscious and aware of how things can be misinterpreted and how the expected audience’s biases will effect how they interpret it (so Starship Troopers to a leftist audience is funny satire, but to an American audience is just saying what Americans unironically believe but in a silly way). But that’s soft, easily forgotten advice compared to an exhortation to always be blunt and hyperbolic, delivered in a blunt and hyperbolic way.

• CoolYori [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Movies like this, American Psycho, Flight Club, and Clockwork Orange are just massive self report mechanisms to me depending on how you “like” them.

• BrezhnevsEyebrows [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Starship Troopers is an incredible movie which I love very much but unfortunately it fails as a satire, simply because it was made for Americans who are too stupid to understand its themes or subtlety

• LeopardShepherd [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Similarly I’ve noticed this with boomers in my life (big crossover with them being kinda fashy) . Totally incapable of understanding anything outside of what is literally happening on screen.

• macabrett[they/them]@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’m sorry Auron, I wasn’t identifying with the bugs. I was actually identifying with Rico’s parents, who were crushed under the consequences of American World empire after begging their son to not go off and fight as a fascist.

I also identify with Verhoeven, who thinks you’re a dumbass.

• Tankiedesantski [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Heroism is when you land wave after wave of unsupported light infantry onto a hostile planet with no preparatory bombardment, air support, armor, or even crew served weapons. Beauty is when you have your fleet orbiting dumbly above said planet, not providing any support, being easy targets for ground fire.

• Awoo [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Consider for a moment that literal children are currently playing Helldivers 2 and then going on to imitate it and absorb it into their personalities.

The satire is lost on them, they only see “i really enjoy this thing” and “it’s really cool when they say these words in such an over the top way”.

Satire depicting fascists as cool and the good guys does considerably more harm than good.

• AssortedBiscuits [they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Consider for a moment that literal children are currently playing Helldivers 2 and then going on to imitate it and absorb it into their personalities.

90s/00s kids played with their Starship Troopers action figures and watched the Starship Troopers animated series on syndicated TV, and people wonder why Starship Troopers 1 is taken sincerely by many people. Surely being able to buy the action figures of the satirized characters does much to undermine the satire.

• Flyberius [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

A friend of mine kept saying this film was dumb because “how could insects send a rock halfway across the galaxy to strike at earth” and no matter how many times I tried to explain to him he just couldn’t grasp that the fascist human government faked the attack and that the bugs are literally no threat to humanity.

He’s a really good friend and has not a malicious bone e in his body, but he’s also credulous as fuck and falls for the false flag narratives constantly.

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh

• GorGor@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Its been a while since I saw the movie, and I think I get it mixed up with the book sometimes. Was there something in the movie itself that even hints that it was a false flag?

• Mardoniush [she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

It’s subtle but that’s because it’s echoing Nazi propaganda films about their own false flags.

The system is far from earth (even if you assume it’s warped there), the bugs have limited interstellar capacity, the asteroid is thrown against all odds straight into the patrol path of a starship. Iirc it’s the ship political officer that says coms are down.

Buenos Aries is populated by Albert Speer capitalists who are critical of the fascist regime (while benefiting from it). The fash lieutenant is clearly isolated and sad (he’s a retired field offier recommissioned in a collapsing army and he gets the rank of lieutenant ffs, he’s pissed someone off or he’s an incompetent, likely the latter since his unit gets sacrificed.)

You’ll even note the reporter uses the fascist trick of mimic-ing liberal talking points in front of an audience from the city and guaranteed to be hostile to it.

• GorGor@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

The the recommissioned officer who was the teacher was just combining two completely different characters from the book.

Why do the bugs have limited interstellar capabilities?

The movie definitely takes some of the fascist ideas from the books and amplifies them effectively. I think Heinlein was really asking a what if in the original book, similar to a lot of his other (also, ‘problematic’) work.

None of this implies a false flag.

If they wanted to amp up the fascism they could have used the opening of the book which was nuking the ‘skinnies’ a bug ally.

• Owl [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I wasn’t sure Starship Troopers was satire the first time I saw it. It was the Bush years, so it just didn’t seem that far outside of the realm of what mainstream culture had become. But it was still pretty obviously either satire or terrible.

• DragonBallZinn [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

The sheeple are horrible at reading between the lines, and that’s what makes them perfect fascists. Normies only care about what’s ‘cool’ rather than what’s right. I’m stuck in this society where I have to fake being a douchebag to save face!

• rootsbreadandmakka [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

The Black Mirror Men Against Fire discourse is always great because leftists inevitably end up identifying with hideous murderous roaches while passionately rejecting everything that is beautiful and heroic

• ReadFanon [any, any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Learn how to engage with media, you dorks - it’s obvious which side is good and which side is bad! How can you be so oblivious??

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Considering how Starship Troopers is a reactionary franchise (yes, it’s a franchise and no, one satirical movie doesn’t take away the original book, subsequent movies, and spinoff cartoons and games being sincerely reactionary), I don’t think the OP should be as smug in their tweet. When you have a single movie that’s against fascism but everything else including action figures that goes, “fascism is cool and sexy acktually,” then it stops mattering that the one single movie is satirical. It’s like how Rambo is jingoistic trash even if the first movie wasn’t really jingoistic trash.

• macabrett[they/them]@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I guess, but does anyone in 2024 think about anything other than the Verhoeven movie when talking about Starship Troopers? The original tweet has a screen cap of that movie that is making fun of people like Auron.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

My point is that the action figures propagate the idea that the first film should be taken sincerely and that a franchise with works outside the first film exists. Obviously, people selling Capital on Amazon aren’t going to make people read Capital as an ironic work.

• Greenleaf [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

White America didn’t always have this love affair with the cops. You can find lots of media from the 70s and earlier that depicts cops in a neutral or negative light.

It was only as America became less segregated, starting in the 70s. Up until then, of course the cops were used to oppress black folks but that was largely out of sight from the white folks. Once the suburbs started to desegregate more (they are of course still highly segregated), white folks started looking to cops as the saviors of white supremacy. Even then, this really only achieved the current incredibly high levels of bootlicking after the Michael Brown shooting, when white folks began to explicitly, uncritically support cops as a way to express white supremacy without coming out and saying it directly.

• 7bicycles [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

True enough, but that bar is so low to clear you’d need a shovel

It makes it the best Rambo movie, but it’s stil jingoistic trash.