It’s got all the hits. Huge smuglord energy. Extremely patronizing toward younger people.

• happybadger [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Even if it were fully ethical under communism, even if I made it myself, I wouldn’t get my partner a diamond because it’s boring. It’s a gaudy boomer gem that’s as commodified as the red rose or the white wedding. If I get them flowers, I go for whatever has the best smell. If I get them a gem, it’s going to be some kind of art nouveau goblin thing. Quartzite from a hike we like would be more meaningful than a diamond. Much cheaper gems look way more interesting and aren’t generic shit marketed to our grandparents.

• Wheaties [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Much cheaper gems look way more interesting and aren’t generic shit marketed to our grandparents.

Just wondering, are there lab grown rubies and sapphires? 'cus I think that would be very popular in the next few decades…

• PKMKII [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

So the article quotes one “diamond expert” Paul Zimnisky poo-pooing artificial diamonds. Now according to Mr. Zimnisky’s website:

Disclosure: As of January 2024, Paul Zimnisky held a long equity position in Lucara Diamond Corp, Brilliant Earth Group, Star Diamond Corp and Newmont Corp. Paul is an independent board member of Lipari Diamond Mines, a privately-held Canadian company with an operating diamond mine in Brazil and a development-stage asset in Angola.

So yep, child slavers as qualified experts.

• always a good sign when the term “sustainable” is flattened down to a childish analysis with a narrow interpretation of environmental stewardship.

is burning coal sustainable? no. it’s a fossil fuel. also, mining coal is fucked. that doesn’t make it less sustainable than child exploitation and slavery. but, besides that morally bankrupt calculus… the lab-grown diamond has the potential of being generated through more sustainable/renewable energy production, which is why electrification is a decarbonization strategy.

the way the author regurgitates the “earth-grown” stone rebrand reeks of the kind of greenwashing that the article’s thesis is supposedly centered around. this is someone who has never laid eyes on a strip mine or seen spoilage, mine drainage, headwaters smothered in overburden or tailings pond failure. but they do have an MS in environmental science from Univ Toronto, and Canada is the worst offender on the planet for deregulated and liability-dodging exploitative mining interests… so kudos.

digging giant holes in the earth is extremely fucked across the board. if you can synthesize something without digging a big hole, you’re moving in the right direction.