• Rom [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

People like him don’t seem to realize that the fact that people are talking about it means it was an effective protest. Like obviously he didn’t expect his actions to immediately solve the problem, dipshit, the purpose was to increase the pressure on the establishment to stop supporting a genocidal regime.

• zifnab25 [he/him, any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

People like him don’t seem to realize that the fact that people are talking about it means it was an effective protest.

It might be, but there’s some question of what impact popular disapproval carries in a decayed democracy.

He lit himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy. The Houthis lit a few merchant ships passing through the Gulf of Adan on fire. Who has done more for the Palestinian people?

Like obviously he didn’t expect his actions to immediately solve the problem, dipshit, the purpose was to increase the pressure on the establishment to stop supporting a genocidal regime.

That’s definitely the intent. I don’t know if it will be the result. I have a sneaking suspicion that guys like Biden and Blinken will simply whine about being unfairly maligned by the Illegal Dressed Mental Health Lone Wolf, while insisting everyone who doesn’t endorse them during the election season is responsible for the bombs Trump drops in his stead.

Self-sacrifice turned Aaron into a brilliant symbol of non-violent protest in a world where cops shoot non-violent protesters.

• Rom [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

It might be, but there’s some question of what impact popular disapproval carries in a decayed democracy.

Nothing will change until the unjust government is overthrown, and any actions that lay bare the atrocities committed by the government will help move the needle in the direction of popular disapproval, even by just a little bit.

He lit himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy. The Houthis lit a few merchant ships passing through the Gulf of Adan on fire. Who has done more for the Palestinian people?

What else could he have done? Maybe his self-immolation wasn’t the most effective possible action he could have taken, given his position in the military, but it’s not like he had the opportunity to set fire to any ships himself. Sabotage a couple of servers? They would have just locked him in a cell and had them back up and running within a day. Yes, he didn’t exactly provide material support to the Palestinian people, but I don’t think that makes his protest useless.

I’m sure the Biden regime will try to spin this in their favor, but there’s no question that his unwavering support for genocide is hurting his reelection chances. And maybe the fact that Trump is also rabidly pro-Israel will start waking people up to the idea that this problem can’t be fixed through electoralism. Regardless, the system is collapsing, and to that I say amerikkka isntrael

• Awoo [she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Personally think he could have leaked classified material as a form of protest and it would have been far more terrifying to those in charge. Imagine a massive info dump of shit as an anti-genocide protest and the potential copycats that might also do it.

• JohnBrownNote [comrade/them, des/pair]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

deeper-sadness reading about history, it’s kinda hard for me to see how americans protesting the war in viet nam was materially effective in ending it.