Not willing to give them ideas so fast.

That’s something that popped in my head as soon as I started in here, not so long ago.

But there’s nothing to prevent that, right? I mean, Meta could very well create a meta instance on Lemmy or Kbin or Mastodon or in all of them, bring a bunch of users, sprinkle in some ads because why not.

Sure, they could be defederated from more restrictive insfances. In the bigger picture, every other instance could boycott them, but they would surely federate among themselves (Elon meets Mark, ugh). They also have all the computational power and would have no problem being the largest instances in the Fediverse.

Then what? Is that feasible? Probable? My utopian future about a free, descentralized Fediverse is a lie?

• CMLVI@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I already got vote massacred cause I made a joke about displaying Nazi logos being illegal, since that neighborhood in…Chicago? outlawed the trans flag(where I was clearly on the right side) and people assumed I was making an actual, factual argument for the nazis. It’s necessary sometimes lol

• Margot Robbie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Why not? With the structure of the Fediverse, it’s impossible for anyone to lock their users to their particular instance, and if their users prove to be problematic, they’ll just get defederated.

• utopianfiat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

And if someone can run an instance like a business and still federate, more power to them. Labor should be paid.

• Ungoliantsspawn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Honestly is not a big deal. Some specific instance might start behaving like aholes because of corporate greed or anything else.

All they can do is take their specific communities down. The affected communities can always move to other instance (that is easier than changing to a different system all together).

Changing platforms will always be harder than just switch instance because you instance changed the rules on you.

• _finger_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The word “millions of eyes” tends to start attracting corporate overlords. When we hit a million users I think things might start changing.

• LostCause@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Most certainly if this grows big enough corporations will join in if only to market whatever products to the userbase.

What you can do is to work on supporting/curating instances which don‘t want this. Try to see what kind of people are in charge and what their reaction would be. For example I‘m also on an instance (http://lemmy.dbzer0.com/) created by a r/piracy mod who I‘m fairly certain wouldn‘t federate with corporations or let his instance be controlled by them.

Lemmy.ml which I‘m also on, probably not positive with US companies, but might federate with Chinese companies.

What makes all this not a big concern for me is how easy it is for me to drop an instance and go to another one, but I‘m also not attached to my users in general, hopefully we can get some export/import functions for cases where we need to abandon somewhere (unless it exists and I haven‘t seen it yet?).

• _s10e@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That would be a good thing. More instances are good. More users are good.

If meta federates with Lemmy and mastodon, we could interact with our grandparents again.

• Cralder@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Tumblr has already said they are doing something with the fediverse but I’m not sure if that panned out or not as I have not kept up with the news on that.

But really, why would that be a bad thing for the users on the smaller instances? If you use Lemmy or kbin or mastodon or whatever for an instance you trust you could interact with users on corporate instances without having to sell your soul to Zuck. I personally don’t see it a a bad thing.

• Mininux@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

How would they put ads on our instances ? From what I understand, the only way would be by creating true posts as regular users, in which case most instances would just defederate with them (not sure it is the correct way to say this)

• TheGayDude@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

As long as the ads are limited to sponsor posts and banner ads I really wont mind, you can just scroll past them

• utopianfiat@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Who cares? If it helps the instance sustain itself long term, then they should get those dollars

• ZILtoid1991@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It depends on.

I highly in favor of corporations running their own instances to let people interact with them, and it’s only a time until it happens with Twitter as the leftover moderation slowly evaporates. Imagine if you could interact with your favorite corporate VTuber on Mastodon without having to keep up your Twitter account. Just let VTubercorp to have mstdn.vtubercorp.social or something. Other kind of companies also could follow suit. I have seen the Rapberry Pi Foundation’s Mastodon account, and probably it’ll grow as more and more Twitter traffic will be due to bots instead of actual people.

What I’m concerned about is EEE tactics employed by centralized social media companies to create a worse and more corporate version of the Fediverse, or to kill it entirely.

• WolfhoundRO@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t think that it would mean that Fediverse won’t be free anymore. With their own instances of Lemmy, the corporations could just control their side while leaving the rest of the Fediverse alone. It’s, as someone said, like email: you can have your own email account in even your own email server and get in touch with other email addresses from other email providers

• Big P@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t think a corporate instance is necessarily a bad thing. The purpose of federation is to give consumers choice, and if the right choice for some people is an instance managed by a corporation and the corporation makes enough money to keep it going then it’s a win win, right?

• planish@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

We probably want all instances of substantial size to run under incorporated legal entities, because then there’s a legal entity that can collect the donation money, be cooperatively owned, have a DMCA registered agent, get registered as a nonprofit, and so on. We don’t want instance operators personally owing Nintendo a jillion dollars when they try and come for the Zelda memes or whatever.

I don’t think the important line here is individual vs. legal fiction, it’s whose interests (users vs. owners) the instance is set up to serve.

• Kichae@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Meta’s got a microblogging thing coming, and it’s supposed to be coming soon. Tumblr has ActivityPub support on their roadmap.

It’s coming. There will be issues with it, possibly around advertising, definitely around spam and moderation.

Many big instances will become small overnight, and will likely federate with corporate sites. Many small instances will suddenly be tiny in comparison and not federate with them.