• wxboss@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Everything is moving so quickly these days, and the exodus from other failing sites along with the expectations of those transitioning from them is creating a crescendo that is just unrealistic.

So many people have been working very hard to keep up with all of these new and increasing demands (and they ought to be credited for that), but what is lacking is patience for those working behind the scenes.

They’re doing a great job, but, for God’s sake, give them some slack!

• Jdreben@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It does everything Mastodon does but more, honestly. I use both, and definitely prefer Firefish. But I’m a developer so a lot of things about Mastodon really bothered me. The core difference is Firefish fka Calckey is being developed much faster and with a more modern stack. The click to play MFM feature was developed in a few days when the community was concerned about potential seizures due to unasked for auto playing or animated text.

A few key features: QT & Full text search (search I don’t use except for specific posts so can’t speak to that) MFM & cat mode (these are just fun, Misskey flavored markdown has things like tada and sparkle and rainbow. People make art with it)

• Jdreben@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Probably more important are features such as channels and pages which are more like Facebook or MySpace. People have compared it to Tumblr because you can completely customize the interface. I hope it intros some more people to programming

• CatBusBand@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

You can react with cute sticker-like things to a toot and that’s all it took to really convince me. Also I feel like there’s a lot more artists there

• renard_roux@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I feel that way about stickers on Telegram, they’re just so awesome. Wish I could get more of my friends to use it instead of Messenger, and would really miss them if I stopped using Telegram.

• EnderWi99in@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m with you. If we keep migrating to something else we’ll never actually settle to create a real community. I’m sticking with Mastadon. It’s grown into something pretty stable and decent at this point.

• Blaze@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

You are not really migrating anywhere, as Mastodon is compatible with Firefish.

• Retronautickz@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Why stick to the worse one, though?

The point of federation is that you can create community with people all over it, no matter what software the server they joined is running.

Mastodon being too big to the point that 90% of it users things it’s the whole fediverse is not positive nor contributes to create an stable community. Many people coming from twitter run from the fediverse, because they’re told there’s nothing other than mastodon, which they find hard to use, lacking and extremely toxic.

Misskey, Firefish, Akkoma, GoToSocial, Microblogpub, etc give people other options that may fit their need for/usage of a microblogging platform better than mastodon does, as each (including Mastodon and each of its forks) has it’s own “profile”

• On@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Why stick to the worse one, though?

Why is mastodon the worse one?

Many people coming from twitter run from the fediverse, because they’re told there’s nothing other than mastodon, which they find hard to use, lacking and extremely toxic.

Why is everyone so adamant that Mastodon should accommodate to users leaving Twitter by being a Twitter clone? It was meant to be federated, privacy friendly, self-hosted, less toxic twitter alternative for small communities , not a clone of Twitter. People act like everyone becomes seasoned to using Twitter or other mainstream social media websites by default and it’s mastodon’s fault they leave because its not exactly like Twitter. It’s pretty straightforward to forget all about the fediverse and rant all day, just like Twitter.

It’s one thing to improve UX for users and another thing entirely to specifically chaperone users leaving Twitter, which is not Mastodon’s goals.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Why is mastodon the worse one?

Lack of essential features and the toxicity within it servers.

It was meant to be federated, privacy friendly, self-hosted, less toxic twitter alternative for small communities

1- I didn’t say it had to be a twitter clone. What I said is that some people coming from Twitter that weren’t convinced by Mastodon, may be could have find other microblogging more adequate for their needs and usage. Each microblogging platform has its personality and usability, and Mastodon wasn’t for them.

The problem is when people are told that there’s nothing beyond Mastodon (regarding microblogging) on the fediverse, so they end up running away from the fediverse, after not finding a home on Mastodon.

2- It failed at being less toxic.

Witch hunts over petty arguments, negative reaction to newcomers not knowing how things work, racism that gets minimalised as “not as bad” by big part of the user base.

The fact that it doesn’t have quote posting because it “allows for toxic behaviour”, when other platforms have it and say toxicity is almost non-existant in using that feature, it’s in itself a red flag.

• J.B. Pinkle@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

FWIW migrating from Mastodon migrates all your followers automatically and you can interact with them just as you did on Mastodon.

You do need to manually recreate your list of people you follow though, from what I could tell.

Once that’s done you haven’t really lost anything unless you were or were intended to be heavily active with the feed on your local mastodon instance. (Vs federation etc)

• Blaze@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The interface is more customizable, and there are more features (quote posts, for instance)

• Gamma@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

mastodon didn’t have quote posts because:

it inevitably adds toxicity to people’s behaviours. You are tempted to quote when you should be replying, and so you speak at your audience instead of with the person you are talking to. It becomes performative. Even when doing it for “good” like ridiculing awful comments, you are giving awful comments more eyeballs that way

source

Some mastodon apps do support quotes though, by loading any linked toots in the posts themselves

• t3rmit3@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

That just sounds like them deciding how I can communicate. Quoting is not inherently toxic, they’re just used to how Twitter users utilize it. I’ve also seen plenty of people use quoting of posts for boosting someone’s post without copying it, since copying it breaks the link back to the original post. I used to quote-tweet Patreon, GoFundMe, or donation link posts sometimes.

• Daniel@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Firefish just has a different ✨vibe ✨ going on, although it’s not for everyone, here’s the guide I’d use:

Twitter -> Mastodon Reddit -> Lemmy Tumblr -> Firefish YouTube -> PeerTube

They all work the same, and are (to some extent interoperable), but it’s just what layout you’re used to the most.

• PotatoesFall
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

thanks! As somebody who never used tumblr, what’s the vibe?

• Daniel@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Tumblr is focused more on microblogging, so there are longer form posts, fandoms, and artists. I still have my Tumblr account (for some reason, I never use it) so here’s a screenshot of what it looks like compare to Firefish.

Tumblr's user interface side-by-side with Firefish's

• jerome@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

HOLY SHIT… I just tried firefish.social and there’s TONS of right wing anti trans lies in their trending “news.”

No fucking thank you.

• ADHDefy@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Honestly, I migrated from Mastodon just when Calckey (now Firefish) seemed to be gaining more traction. I looked at available instances, and this was one of the first to pop up that checked most of my boxes, being that it is a generalistic instance (skewed a bit toward video game/nerd culture), was up-to-date and properly utilized HTTPS, and had limits I was cool with (character limits, drive storage, etc.). I later found out that it’s run by a tech YouTuber I admire, so that was a nice bonus.

My only complaint is that there aren’t many custom emojis. lol

• Jdreben@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

What are you talking about? Trending isn’t even working right now… sources please.

• cnnrduncan@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Isn’t that a problem with specific instances/federation rather than the software itself? There are some hateful right-wing Lemmy instances too but that doesn’t seem to be a problem for you as the instance you use has probably defederated from them.

• Chozo@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              11 months ago

They’re also not on your instance in the first place. You’re looking at the Global feed. That isn’t content from Firefish.Social, that’s content from elsewhere on the Fediverse. Firefish.Social admins can’t moderate content on another server.

• jerome@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

I went to firefish. I made an account. On fire fish I saw anti transgender astroturfing.
                Does this mean firefish is free from all douchebaggery?
                No.

• Chozo@kbin.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

I’m just saying, that’s like buying a window from Lowe’s, installing it in your home, and then being mad at Lowe’s for having a bad view. They can’t control what you see when you use the tool literally designed to look at the outside world.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

1- Never join the official instances. They always are too big that are almost impossible to moderate.

2- In which timeline did you see those comments? Because if it was global, it’s possible these are unknown servers the admins aren’t aware of. (The trending section is global)

• russjr08@outpost.zeuslink.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I mean, to be fair, the person you replied to is using Kbin rather than Lemmy - they’re interacting with a Lemmy community though.

• sorchist@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Just to be clear, which firefish server did you join?

I just checked out the main server (firefish.social) and there wasn’t any transphobic content in the “Global” or “Local” section.

I’m wondering if you ended up on a really toxic right-wing fediverse instance, that happens to use Firefish as its software, and so the Firefish main site stupidly/ignorantly listed it as a possible place to sign up. If that’s the case they need to get rid of it.

• malloc@programming.dev
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I quickly looked through the #news tag, not seeing this. I guess those bots were active at the time?

• AndreTelevise@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

There is a variety of instances for Firefish, such as kitty.social. One weird thing I notices is that the Firefish logo is not consistent across all instances. ThatOneCalculator, creator of Firefish, was recently involved in some drama, so some instance owners put an alternative logo instead.

• GadgeteerZA@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Does it not depend on who you follow, is what you see in your feed? Like most networks on Fediverse.

• themadcodger@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Firefish and Mastodon are both microblogging platforms (like Twitter) on the fediverse. Kbin and Lemmy are both forum style platforms (like Reddit).

Where Lemmy and Mastodon are for people who prefer a more basic just the necessities experience, kbin and Firefish provide a more stylish experience with more options and customization.

• LeFantome@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It is a Mastadon alternative where Mastadon is a Twitter ( X ) alternative.

Kbin is a Lemmy alternative where Lemmy is a Reddit alternative.

• 00@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I understood this comment chain but im so sorry for everyone that is new to the fediverse and has absolutely no clue what is going on lmao

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

No, not really. Firefish is a microblogging platform. Kbin is a link aggregation and topic discussion platform, with a wonky attempt at microblogging.

I wouldn’t call it an alternative to Mastodon or Twitter either, because Firefish has features that neither of them have. The only Microblogging platform it could be seen as an alternative to, now that it has gone beyond being just a fork, is Misskey.

People tend to compare Firefish and Misskey more to Tumblr, but they still have things that either were inspired by other microblogging platforms (twitter, included), or that are unique to them. So they aren’t fully “Tumblr alternatives” either.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Cool things on Firefish/clackey, that Mastodon and most of it forks don’t have:

• Quote notes (Misskey and Akkoma, a fork of Pleroma, also have them)

• Antennas. They allow you to add words, tags and accounts to lists and create parallel timelines that you can see whenever you want, without having to follow this accounts

• You can create personalized timelines for certain accounts to appear in.

• It has a drive section where you can upload files.

• Channels. This are public local group that the members of a server can create, join and interact within.

• Private chat groups. Local only.

• Emoji reactions

• Clips. These are collections of notes (“note” is the name post receive in Misskey and Firefish)

You can create multiple clips and manage them by giving a name and description to each. You can also choose to make your clips public to make them available to other users.

• You can create custom web pages. For now they don’t federate.

• Customisable (by admin) character limit.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Here a better explanation from the Misskey (from where Firefish took this feature) official page

I haven’t seen any Misskey or Firefish admin commenting negatively about the existence of the drive feature itself

• cole@lemdro.id
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

That is a little different than I imagined. Still not sure how I feel about it though lol

• AngryDemonoid@lemmy.lylapol.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I wasn’t a fan last time I tried it out. I’m glad they changed the name though. Calckey sounded more like an excel alternative.

I’ll have to check it out again at some point though.

• TokyoMonsterTrucker@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I just tried it out and the UI and additional functionality is a massive upgrade over the current stock Mastodon experience. And it federates seamlessly with Mastodon accounts. The Antenna feature is something that I’ve been looking for in Mastodon since day one. The fediverse rules. Use it if you like it!

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Antennas allow you to create secondary timeline of accounts, terms and tags without them having to appear in the primary timelines.

That way you can follow content from people without follow people.

Here the official explanation from Misskey:

Antenna is a feature that allows you to freely set conditions for a custom timeline and automatically collect matching notes. Antenna conditions can include conditions to include/exclude certain keywords and tags in different combinations as well as other options. When a note matching an antenna’s conditions is posted, the note will automatically be added to that antenna’s timeline.

• dan@upvote.au
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Interesting - sounds similar to what you can do with the multiple columns in TweetDeck.

• AndreTelevise@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I like Firefish, I am on a Firefish instance myself, and I feel really good about it. It’s fun to use and it federates with Mastodon most of the time, and with Misskey some of the time. Unfortunately, microblogging on the fediverse is not as straightforward as forums on the fediverse, as they’re a lot more fragmented and there are 5 or 6 different platforms instead of 2 like we have here.

• /home/pineapplelover@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Like every open source platform there are so many alternatives. Like all the open source Linux distributions and all the open source messaging apps. The social media space now has lemmy, kbin, mastodon, now firefish. So many places, Firefish doesn’t appear to be federated yet, hopefully they will soon, users now will have too many options to choose from. This brings me back to when I picked my first linux distro, I had Fedora, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, PopOS, Arch, Manjaro, and hundreds more. It’s a bit overwhelming, I’ll be following the development and hope everything goes well.

• haxe11@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

There are other Firefish instances, though, in case one wants to use Firefish and also federate with mastodon.art.

• 🦊 OneRedFox 🦊@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It has the better feature set and UX. Some things I like:

• Threaded comment replies (though they display differently from Lemmy’s).
      • Antennae for discoverability.
        • Can use hashtags AND keywords.
        • Can filter results by instance.
        • Can create multiple timelines to display content in.
      • Customizable UI via widgets.
      • I think the theming options are better.
      • Full-text search.
      • Quote posts.
      • Cat mode.
    • J.B. Pinkle@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

ok but how about you tell me why to move from mastodon to firefish?

I like the UI better (by a lot), I like the “antennas” feature, I like that I can do a traditional blog post if I choose (“pages” they call it), it’s very custom-configurable, and in the 3 days since I’ve joined I’ve already seen bugfixes and improvements deployed.

Why move? If Mastodon is 100% great for you and nothing about the look/feel/functionality of Firefish jumps out at you then there is really no reason.

• esty@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

you don’t really have to, but it’s a lot more feature rich, less heavy to run if you’re self hosting, and has a really slick ui to boot

• philip_the3rd@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

None, really. Maybe the slicker UI, but I’ve been using a great 3rd party app lately for Mastodon (Moshidon), so no big plus there. Was out of Firefish after 12 hours and had to ask the admin where the bloody “delete account” was. In true Facebook fashion, it’s hidden under “other” in settings.

• GadgeteerZA@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

It was actually created in 2022 as Calckey, as a fork of Misskey, so one of the Fediverse social networking sites. It has recently rebranded though to the Firefish name. It is a real breath of fresh air though in terms of features and great UI!

• J.B. Pinkle@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It is a real breath of fresh air though in terms of features and great UI!

I want to be able to do more than just upvote this lol. I was so pleasantly surprised. In minutes I was sure I wanted to migrate my Mastodon account.

• Oliver@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

What about mobile apps? I’m on mastodon, but I basically never see the mastodon UI as I stick with Ivory (as I’m a former Tweetbot User on some ancient Microblogging Plattform which has transformed to something… else).

I don’t want to use some „nice looking“ Webpages which are optimized for mobile screens. I want dedicated Apps, as they offer mostly the much better experience.

I think the recent run of developing high class Mastodon Apps earlier this year (as the mentioned ancient Plattform kicked them out) gave mastodon an enormous boost.

• Oliver@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Also that’s the same for Lemmy for me. Since Memmy and Mlem are in the AppStore (where I preferred Memmy), I use Lemmy much more and haven’t opened Reddit since 1st July.

So, as long as there aren’t any major high class mobile Apps for firefish, I don’t expect it getting anywhere near to mastodon.