• lil_tank@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

When I see these American utopian delusion, through media or discourse, I get a strange vibe. It’s not negative, it’s not like when I learn about the reality of daily life of workers in the US that gets my blood boiling. Instead I experience some kind of nostalgia

I wish it was real I think. If the US were exactly what they claim to be, life would be so much easier.

• lil_tank@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Yeah sure… even if the watered down version of History taught in Florida was real, still problematic

• IntoDaLagoon@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Part of me misses the time before the cracks really started to show, back when maybe the problem was just me

• lil_tank@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s not you, a lot of western MLs were liberals before. I remember the Obama years, I remember how naive I was, I genuinely thought that the US was leading the way against racism and inequality. In my defense I’m European so I had no first hand experience of the country and the media were creaming themselves with Obama juice. Also I was 11 years old lol.

• CriticalResist8@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

They’re actually still pulling the “everyone is equal in America™”? After how they treated the Natives and their Black citizens?

• albigu@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Their “greatest honour” is no longer having to worry (too much) about getting nabbed by ICE. That’s for special people only, the best of the best!

• DamarcusArt@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Wow, Mr President Biden personally writes a letter to every new citizen of the USA? No wonder he’s always too busy to get around to doing all of his campaign promises! Not to mention why he’s so sleepy all the time, he probably has to spend all night writing these letters!

• Valbrandur@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

The idea of America is that everyone is created equal and deserves to be treated equally and that we are forever a Nation of possibilities.

If you search “anti-[any nationality] sentiment” in wikipedia there is a high chance that the USA is listed between the countries where such existed, with many cases including federal laws and executive orders from the government of the USA itself aimed against them. Who in their right mind can take a look at the history of how the US has treated any people coming from abroad and still believe it to be “the land of opportunity”?

• Addfwyn@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Plenty of opportunities if you are rich enough. Just look at the opportunities the son of an emerald mine owner from South Africa can get!