The post Xitter web has spawned soo many “esoteric” right wing freaks, but there’s no appropriate sneer-space for them. I’m talking redscare-ish, reality challenged “culture critics” who write about everything but understand nothing. I’m talking about reply-guys who make the same 6 tweets about the same 3 subjects. They’re inescapable at this point, yet I don’t see them mocked (as much as they should be)

In the past few months alone I’ve seen:

• A birthrate obsessed substacker who wants to ban car seats to increase minivan sales
  • Two people off HN who went on thinly race-iq rants only to say that race and iq doesn’t even matter because ChatGPT is going to lift the non-whites into sapience and end racism. Neither substacker seemed to know each other, yet came to the same ridiculous conclusion.
  • A former femboy, turned reply-guy who tweets about how the hidden figures woman was actually white like once a week
  • Another xitter user who’s made 10 posts a day insisting that Ethiopians are actually mostly white, which is why they had castle and shit

And honestly there’s a lot more of these guys that are crazy than they are racist; I just so happened to remember the most offensive posters. Like, there was one dude a while back who insisted that women couldn’t be surgeons because they didn’t believe in the moon or in stars? I think each and every one of these guys is uniquely fucked up and if I can’t escape them, I would love to sneer at them.

• David Gerard@awful.systemsM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

is it like discord threaded discussion? that works suprrisingly well, but also its discord and fundamentally ephemeral on too short a timescale for my taste

• skillissuer
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

i don’t use discord a lot but in general matrix looks a bit like discord, threads on matrix are a separate chat that opens in a sidebar. all of these threads are accessible from single place

i think that this ephemeral nature of matrix fits well with news and low effort content, and if anyone wants to elaborate then it’s a start of a post here

• froztbyte@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Tangent: I keep wondering whether discord sells enough hats[0] to gamer whales to sit stably on the product side, esp. with shit like midjourney and others that must cause ridiculous amounts of useless data over time. Certainly they could drop those or charge for them or whatever, but renting computers from hyperscalers does add up over time…

[0] - I cannot see their nitro pitches as anything but the TF hats model