• Coach@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Ain’t that a bitch. One virus took his body. Another took his life.

Both are preventable through safe, effective, and widely available vaccines. Vaccinate yourselves and your children, friends.

• davel [he/him]@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Currently COVID-19 is not preventable through vaccination on its own, especially not at the currently recommended once-per-year schedule, because they don’t last anywhere near that long.

• Land_Strider@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

It is not preventable to get down with it, but the vaccines reduce its effects so much that even people with chronic breathing illnesses or organ transplants can handle it like a moderate flu. Mileage will vary from person to person, of course.

Your direct point stands, but it is still a huge win for pro-vaccination.

• Kbobabob@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

The COVID vaccine doesn’t prevent you from getting COVID. It just mitigates the symptoms. You can still get it and spread it.

• Natanael@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

If anybody wonders how, it’s because vaccination means the immune system reduces viral load, so you spread much less virus and thus others exposed have a better chance of avoiding infection.

• Gabu@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

In other words, it does exactly the same as any other vaccine…

• Coach@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

And what do you think people die from? The symptoms, knucklehead.

• smeenz@lemmy.nz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            4 months ago

Wow, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning ?

• Coach@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 months ago

Just tired of the “well, actually…” comments that make no sense.

• Kbobabob@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

I’m aware of that but the comment I replied to says the virus is preventable. You really think I understand how the vaccine works but not what people die from or did you just need to make a degrading comment?

• CanadaPlus@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I feel like this guy alone undercuts the whole meritocracy narrative quite a bit. I know the defenders of that worldview would go “okay, but except for all the exceptions…”, but in a lot of ways it’s just a more extreme version of the stuff that puts people in normal poverty.

Also, vaccinate your damn kids, everyone.

• YurkshireLad@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Send this story to every anti vaxxer and ask if this is what they want their kids to suffer this.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

I have a wall right here if I need to bang my head against something. I don’t know, maybe somebody else reading has the gift of convincing irrational people of things, but I do not.

I brought it up partly just to vent, and partly for any fence sitters that might be lurking and hadn’t made the connection.

• Crikeste@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

They’ve already decided they don’t care for the suffering of other people’s children, the step to not caring about their own isn’t a far one.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Most people are wired to care about people that are familiar to them, instinctively, so I actually think it is a big step. Antivaxxers, as far as I can tell, genuinely believe the conspiracy theories and snake oil salesmen.

• Sizzler@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

A classic case of success against all the odds, to manage to become a lawyer at all is a challenge let alone when you live in an iron lung. It’s an argument for people saying that no matter who you are in society you can succeed and that (therefore) society isn’t racist/classiest etc.

• bartolomeo@suppo.fi
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Oooh, I see. Thanks.

I was missing this part:

and that (therefore) society isn’t racist/classiest etc.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

Yup. Through no fault of his own, the dude spent his entire life lying motionless. Where’s the merit in that story?

It’s not really helpful on it’s own in a debate, because you’ll 100% get “okay, but normal people” back, and it takes way too long to unravel how there’s not actually a hard distinction between various degrees of disadvantage. You’re better off with a mini Gish gallop, since there’s no shortage of examples, and your opponent will be too embarrassed to say the African children were lazy directly.

You could also use actual hard numbers if your talking to an audience savvy enough and with enough attention span to get that. That’s a rare audience, though.

• bartolomeo@suppo.fi
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Oooh, I see. Thanks.

I was missing this part:

and that (therefore) society isn’t racist/classiest etc.

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Mr Alexander was a far stronger man than I could ever be. 70 years in an iron lung? I would be begging for release within a year or two max.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I’m guessing it’s a bit easier if you start as a kid. It’s just what life is like to some degree. Still, can you imagine how much FOMO you would have, literally confined to a barrel? Puberty must have been extra weird for him.

• Drusas@kbin.run
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Puberty must have been extra weird for him.

He was paralyzed from the neck down. Puberty was probably mostly a squeaky voice and inconvenient growth spurt.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

I mean, to be direct about it, desire comes from the brain. The poor dude just didn’t have a body to then be horny with. Also, genitals operate on a slightly different circuit, so they often can remain functional even if voluntary things have been knocked out.

• ripcord@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Agreed on it probably being easier if it’s something you’re used to and not actively in pain.

Not everyone gets a lot of FOMO, so I could imagine that might also not be much, though.

I mean, maybe you just mean frustration/sadness that he can’t do as much as other people, or to do specific things he wants to do. And I could imagine that could be just incredibly tough. Like all sorts of people with severe, debilitating conditions. But FOMO is kinda a different (more childish) thing than that.

• Kalothar@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

He apparently did regain the ability to breathe a little bit and would leave the iron lung for short periods of time

• El Barto@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Imagine if you find out that normal humans could breathe underwater, and there 100 billion people living underwater. Us 8 billion people unable to live underwater are the “iron lung kids”.

The all say “imagine not being able to ‘fly’ underwater, or not riding a gigantic squid - I would kill myself to end my misery!”

What would you respond to that? I’d be like “eh, must be nice, but I’ve lived above water all my life. It makes no difference to me.”

• Mastengwe@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Others said there’s video of him up and walking a few years back, so I think you might be wrong here.

• Darkassassin07@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Literally the very beginning of the linked article:

Paul Alexander contracted polio in 1952 when he was six, leaving him paralysed from the neck down.

The disease left him unable to breathe independently, leading doctors to place him in the metal cylinder, where he would spend the rest of his life.

He later regained some very limited mobility, allowing him to leave the iron lung for very short periods; but I doubt that includes the fine motor control needed for a typical controller. You could possibly design something he could use to an extent, but it’s certainly not as easy as just toss him in there with an xbox controller.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The disease left him unable to breathe independently, leading doctors to place him in the metal cylinder, where he would spend the rest of his life.

“Paul Alexander, ‘The Man in the Iron Lung’, passed away yesterday,” a post on a fundraising website said.

His brother, Phillip Alexander, remembered him as a “welcoming, warm person”, with a “big smile” that instantly put people at ease.

Phillip said he admired how self-sufficient his brother was, even as he dealt with an illness that stopped him performing daily tasks such as feeding himself.

Paul’s health deteriorated in recent weeks and the brothers spent his final days together, sharing pints of ice cream.

After years, Alexander eventually learned to breathe by himself so that he was able to leave the lung for short periods of time.

The original article contains 583 words, the summary contains 133 words. Saved 77%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• Etterra@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

The worst part is that if you’re stuck in that situation and want to get out of it via suicide, you literally can’t. Now he’s finally free.

• Shou@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

He was able to leave the contraption for short periods of time. He was able to breathe on his own, but not well and would become fatigued quickly. He wasn’t as stuck as it seems.

• jose1324@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Didn’t he choose this? There are modern replacements for the iron lung, when he was still able enough to get out of it he could’ve switched I think.