Local German media are reporting that Musk mentioned at the event that Tesla is looking to build Tesla Semi at the factory:

“I think it makes sense to produce the Tesla Semi in Europe in Gigafactory Berlin.”

• Eideen@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

I am surprise by the statement, since Telsa Semi is not optimised for EU regulation, especially length.

• US: Semi-Trailers can be up to 21.34 meters long.
    • EU: Semi-Trailers can be up to 18.55 meters long.

Wikipedia Semi Trailer

• NotMyOldRedditName@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Wouldn’t that just be their smaller semi given it’d be taking smaller loads?

Things are closer in the EU as well so the smaller ones would have more available routes.

Edit: maybe the smaller one isn’t actually smaller, it’s just missing the aero top. Could just be a side by side perspective illusion

• Omacitin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Wikipedia says Europe uses mainly the shorter cab-over-engine tractors in order to maximize trailer length while staying under the total length limit. They commonly pull standard ISO shipping containers, so in that case at least the difference is all in the tractor.

• lefaucet@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

The stated mission of Tesla is to help transition the world to sustainable energy. Electric motors are much smaller than diesel, so I can’t imagine a shorter cab design would be a big deal.

Europe needs an electrified semi and if I’ve read correctly, Tesla’s semi is much more efficient than the others.