it looks like sora is going absolutely awful for OpenAI. brought to you by the distinguished poster in this thread who made an account here just to post OpenAI’s sora marketing material (and opinions derived from it), which prompted me to check on how the pivot to video is going for the US Plagiarism Machines & Mediocre Men corporation

• Mii@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I am convinced at this point that Sora is an unfinished mess and the only reason they pushed it out the door is because they needed money.

Didn’t Sammy go grifting in the UAE shortly after?

And then two of their developers alluded that it’s unfinished and said it won’t be released anytime soon, just for their CTO to shut them down two days later and saying, No, no, it’s totally coming later this year.

They could’ve made it do something cool and novel, like a cat riding a pink unicorn fighting dragons. Or probably not, because it can’t do that, so instead they made it their selling point how good it can fake reality during an already juicy election season and applauded themselves for it.

• ZILtoid1991@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I’m still seeing the same exact issues to a lesser degree in newer models too, which were way more obvious in earlier models. Often by just the “AI smear” (as I like to call it), I can tell AI generated images from the real thing, then I notice the smeared together objects, hands with 6+ fingers (which often are smeared together with other objects), background break, etc.

• VeganCheesecake@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

For me, it tends to be the way stuff is lit. Artists make lighting mistakes too, but the ones AI makes feel more consistent, and different. At least I think that’s what usually tipps me off.

• TinyTimmyTokyo@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

This linked interview of Brian Merchant by Adam Conover is great. I highly recommend watching the whole thing.

For example, here is Adam, decribing the actual reasons why striking writers were concerned about AI, followed by Brian explaining how Sam Altman et al hype up the existential risk they themselves claim to be creating, just so they can sell themselves as the solution. Lots of really edifying stuff in this interview.

• Omega_Haxors@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Put it this way: The company putting out the product creates an ethics board which warns that the product is too good should ring alarm bells.

• JohnBierce@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I haven’t seen any numbers on how much Sora cost to train, nor how much it costs to run- I can’t help but believe it’s painfully high.

• froztbyte@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

last references I saw were that chatgpt et al were $1m/day, and those numbers were pre-sora.

I wish I could cheer for it unambiguously (“yes! burn that money! go ahead! make yourself poorer! woooooo!”) but unfortunately the fucking side effects still exist too -_-

• froztbyte@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I’ve rather been enjoying following tante’s writings lately, and just saw this: https://tante.cc/2024/03/18/5115/

(also I wanted to use the phrase “tech-critical writings” and then didn’t because fucking GCs (no, not the memory kind) fucked up the term reference (fucking aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh))