• PeriodicallyPedantic@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Honestly I kinda feel like an annular eclipse is prettier, but I’m still excited just for the rarity of the experience.

And who am I kidding? How often do annular eclipses happen either? I’m happy that EITHER happen near me lol

Edit 3 weeks later, after the eclipse: I take it all back - the difference between a sliver of visible sun, and totality, is worlds apart. It’s a totally different beast. It’s in a different league. It doesn’t seem like a big deal on camera, but in person it’s incomparable.

• stoneparchment@possumpat.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

pictures cannot capture the ephemeral, indescribable beauty of the moments of totality

total eclipse wins every time

get effin HYPE

• Grayox@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

It is really the most magical experience a human can experience without drugs.

• PeriodicallyPedantic@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Annular eclipse isn’t a partial eclipse. It’s just like a total eclipse, but with a frickin ring of fire. How frickin metal is that?!?!

But I’d get hype for either, honestly.

• GreyEyedGhost@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I traveled to see the annular eclipse in October, and I’m traveling to the path of the total eclipse next month. I’m sure they both will be amazing experiences. My last total eclipse is decades ago.

In short, I disagree with this meme.

• PunnyName@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Annular are more common. And you can’t look at them without solar glasses. Total you can look for the few minutes without glasses.

• GreyEyedGhost@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

According to Wikipedia, and data for the last century, there were 73 annular and 71 total eclipses, which is pretty close to the same. List of 20th century eclipses. Now, I haven’t checked to see if there are more of one than the other in the eclipse cycle, but given the difference of 2 over a century and the cycle taking 18 years, it can’t be more than one.

But see them while you can. In the distant future, there won’t be any total eclipses.

• idiomaddict@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

You still shouldn’t look at them unprotected, because you don’t notice the damage until it’s too late, iirc

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

For a total, it’s fine as long as you ONLY look during actual totality. Once you see the Bailey’s Beads (little diamonds at the edge), you need to put on your glasses.

• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I’m just happy to see a partial eclipse … how many times do you get to see the moon passing in front of the sun? Full, annular, partial … it doesn’t matter to me, it’s a unique solar event that doesn’t happen often and it amazes me.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Relatively common, actually. At least compared to being able to see a full total. Geographically speaking, that is.

• ItsAFake@lemmus.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

As much as I utterly love the original by Bonnie Tyler, I can’t not sing their version along instead.

• Neato@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I didn’t realize the moon’s distance to the Earth varied enough to cause annular eclipses. I always wondered why we didn’t see more eclipses since the moon is revolving around earth monthly.

• Strykker@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

The moon also doesn’t orbit at the same plane as the earth around the sun, so sometimes it’s above the sun and other times it’s below

• rockerface@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Not only that, but the Moon slowly gets further and further from the Earth so over time there will be more annular eclipses and fewer total eclipses

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

During a total eclipse, he could actually take it off! (certain conditions apply, blind engineers maybe require additional ocular enhancements)