• Zikeji@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

The comment calling spez a pig was originally a solution to a problem, hence the person replying in positively. The comment was edited by a script when the user left Reddit, so the solution no longer is there, depriving those who may be looking.

• EldritchFeminity@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

One thing to note is that the reply is only as old as the edit, so it could be a response to the comment telling people to go to Lemmy rather than whatever the original comment was. It could also be sarcasm, hard to tell.

• cm0002@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

so the solution no longer is there, depriving those who may be looking.

Which honestly, does more harm (to regular people) than good (harming reddit)

• Stovetop@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Well, kinda. Reddit’s main commodity is its user content. They earn money when people go to the site from Google, see ads, and if they like the content enough, maybe register and keep feeding the beast.

Removing the content people go to Reddit to access deprives Reddit of some engagement that they would profit from, however small or negligible it may be.

It may be inconvenient to the end user, but that’s the point. Go somewhere other than Reddit for answers.

• cm0002@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 months ago

It may be inconvenient to the end user, but that’s the point. Go somewhere other than Reddit for answers.

But that’s the problem, I’ll gladly go elsewhere when I can, but on many occasions, for me personally, I have run into some random Reddit comment being the only place where the answer is. Luckily, so far when I’ve run into a comment containing a potential answer but has been overwritten I’ve been able to find it in an archive, but how long until that becomes a rarity? Real tangible knowledge has been/is being entirely lost

• stevedidwhat_infosec@infosec.pub
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              3 months ago

Reddit is not the entirety nor even a partial majority of the world’s knowledge. Just because you keep choosing to check that site doesn’t mean that it only would be there.

You have been brainwashed dude. Idk how else to put it.

• Baŝto
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                3 months ago

I still get there through search engines from time to time. Some niche topics don’t have many communities covering it.

The absurdest one is the Open Source game Pixel Dungeon and it’s fork. The wiki that documents a lot of item and skill behavior is on Fandom (content has a good license and there are mirrors, but meh). The community moved to Lemmy, but a lot of important questions were only answered on Reddit. The content doesn’t move, only the users. And if the question is already answered on Reddit it’s actually less likely that it will also be asked here.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  3 months ago

That’s on who?

Sounds like a game who doesn’t document well, why should we encourage each other to continue using what isn’t working in favor of consistency and consistency sake alone when there’s a plethora of other and better options available.

I agree it sucks, but it’s not permanent in the slightest. It’s not information or answers only retrievable from Reddit. As much as that might have been your experience, it’s not the only experience out there nor is it in any way a majority.

Short run: yes people will have to look elsewhere for answers.

Long run: ???

• Serinus@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                3 months ago

Like it or not we all spent years adding a small chunk of the world’s knowledge to Reddit. I was fine with that at the time.

That knowledge hasn’t moved, and likely won’t. Past Reddit isn’t going away any time soon. I’m content with getting future knowledge to a better place rather than moving the old knowledge.

Also, try not to be a dick. Not everyone who disagrees with you has been “brainwashed”.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  3 months ago

I’m not a dick for warning someone. I wasnt calling names. I legitimately think they have been conditioned to think that somehow we are at a loss of knowledge because the knowledge is no longer written at one place.

Also, cool I like and agree with most of these other points you’re bringing up that were never originally commented on by me or the other commented in this thread.

Nobody is worse off because some removed THEIR OWN CONTENT from the site and I’m not gonna let some Joe blow try and say that anyone is worse off for moving out of a shitty neighborhood because they made really good tacos for the neighbors

Lmao.

• grue@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Reddit should’ve thought about that before pissing off that user, then.

• GregorGizeh@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

I deleted several thousand comments and multiple posts in niche gaming subs I wrote over the years, all of high quality. My knowledge and contributions don’t belong to spez or reddit, or the internet for that matter. Eventually those niche communities will move someplace else, and I’ll be happy to contribute there again.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

If you really think not choosing to put your words on a website is somehow more damaging to the public than enabling yet another greedy pig to take from working people, you’re either delusional or a greedy little pig yourself.

Edit: better wording added

• owatnext@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 months ago

See, I’m torn. I have been endlessly helped through college and now university through decades old Reddit posts. But I hate enabling evil companies.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 months ago

Information isn’t proprietary. What you once were told about, doesn’t go away with that one instance.

Everybody wants to act like Reddit is somehow an encyclopedia of verifiable fact, but it wasn’t. It’s a bunch of internet posts from accounts you don’t even know are human or bot, truth or twisted subjective testimonial presented as fact

Try your local library.

Try Wikipedia.

Fuck GPT scores better on these tests than most humans do so, it’s at least as correct as Reddit was.

People get so addicted to rage bait and these micro dopamine hits from apps that they don’t even know how to function without them anymore ig. Wild.

• papalonian@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 months ago

I mean, this is useful for textbook information, sure. But when I’m trying to solve a niche technical problem, trying to fix a mod for a game, looking for a specific guide I’ve followed before etc, my local library/ ChatGPT is completely useless. Whereas Reddit has like a 99% chance of someone having the exact same issue I’m having, posting about it, then editing the post with “nvm I fixed it” (/s).

Some of these solutions are so specific that the chances of finding them elsewhere are slim, especially for older issues where Google’s algorithm has been pointing the the same reddit post for over a decade. No one else bothers making a new post because it’s already been answered on Reddit. Now that post with the information is gone, and the only solution we can get is “Deleted by a script. Fuck Spez!”

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  3 months ago

From my experience, those same answers I find all over the rest of the web.

Just because it’s what everyone’s parent Google was feeding people with, doesn’t mean that it was the only solution or the best solution. And it certainly doesn’t mean that I’m fucking harming anyone

• cm0002@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 months ago

Those “Don’t delete, overwrite” reddit tools have existed for a long time, do you really believe reddit didn’t take at least one complete db snapshot before the whole API shenanigans? They wouldn’t have multiple complete backups of the supposedly “very valuable” data?

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              3 months ago

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Do you have any idea how much space energy maintenance and a plethora of other items it would take to be backing up every comment and post on the site?

* Classic Reddit armchair moment here btw *

• cm0002@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                3 months ago

Do you have any idea how much space energy maintenance and a plethora of other items it would take to be backing up every comment and post on the site?

Yes, and if said data is worth it, (or at least in the mind of whatever executive is in charge of such a decision at least or Spez himself) they would absolutely spend the money to store at least one complete backup. They’re mostly not doing monthly backups or whatever, but at least one prior to a major policy change announcement that they knew would piss off a lot of people is reasonable.

You’re thinking too logically here, to whatever executive (s) are in charge and probably Spez himself, data = AI = $$$, Lots of data = AI = $$$$$ someone along the lines went “Our users will probably be pissed and start fucking with their profiles, IT backup all the things” and IT/infra engineers probably went (Just like you) that’s going to be a LOT of data and cost" and then that same exec probably went “Idgaf, you’re just some engineer, you don’t how much value it has on the markettttt!! So do it”

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  3 months ago

Again, I’ll believe it when I see it, you didn’t respond to any of the technical reasons I specifically gave you to explain why it’s highly unlikely if not impossible except to basically state

“You’re just wrong, they would just make this happen because they want lots of money.”

• bahbah23@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                3 months ago

Backing up all the data is just good disaster recovery. I don’t have any insider information either, but I would be more surprised if they don’t have at least one off site backup of everything ever on the site. At least anything textual, but probably media as well

• can@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Redditors are still joining us.

Oh, nvm. Comment is 3y old? Is kbin even that old?

• Baŝto
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

The original answer is archived btw: https://web.archive.org/web/20230308220345/https://www.reddit.com/r/tasker/comments/lgo1cl/is_there_anyway_to_run_commands_through_kde/

Is there anyway to run commands through KDE connect?

if you have some commands already defined in KDE Connect, you can long press on them and get a custom URL for them. when you open the URL in any way (through the web browser, KLWP or Tasker etc.), the command will be executed on the other device.