Does anyone know if there is a device that let’s you combine two video inputs and then outputs one split screen view.

I’ve read some tvs have that feature but I don’t have the option on mine so maybe there is a separate device that can do it.

The goal is to be able to play split screen the games me and the wife used to play but from the couch now that we have a baby gaming at our desk isn’t really a thing anymore so I’m thinking split screen with xbox controllers would be nice

• catacomb@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

OP: 1000018058

Jokes aside, I think what you’re looking for is called a multiviewer. You want a 2x1 multiviewer to get a view like that, though it might be split vertically rather than horizontally.

• variants@possumpat.ioOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Yeah I saw a few on Amazon but they all looked pretty low quality and didn’t mention the split screen view but the other commenter linked one that looks promising so I’ll try it out

• shadeless
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Make sure the device you pick up has low latency. Not sure if you can find specs like that in the spec sheets. For watching video, latency is not an issue, but when gaming, you want as little time as possible to go by between you pressing a button and the thing showing up on the screen.

• Blxter@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

My LG monitor has this but it’s a software download. There is no Linux download though and I have yet to try it out

• TehWorld@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Easier and cheaper to get a second screen.

A professional video switcher will do this but it’s way more with “DVE” but you’re probably looking at more cost than another TV.

• insomniac_lemon@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Easier and cheaper to get a second screen.

Also allows you to position the monitors/TVs differently for competitive gaming.

• 1rre
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

You could also do it for the fraction of the cost of a second screen but way more in time if you use an FPGA and some HDMI breakout boards, it could be an interesting project but not what OP’s looking for I would imagine

You could even specify eg. 1920x540 as the input resolution to move the scaling to the software side

• Asayhem@lemmus.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Switched to sunshine+moonlight from steam remote play. Works much better, especially on low end clients. And as a bonus you have full access, not just for steam.

• yobananaboy@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Nice, never heard about Sunshine! How does that work? I have a Debian server with ok specs running for *Arr services, but no games on it. Is it just a middle man I can run on my server or do I need to have games installed on the server too?

• Asayhem@lemmus.org
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

It’s basically a self-hosted stream that moonlight connects to within your network. https://github.com/LizardByte/Sunshine/releases You still need any and all software that’ll actually be running on the server, but you can use sunshine either for streaming particular applications from it or just as a general all purpose remote access tool. So it’s like Parsec, only FOSS and imo works better too.

• variants@possumpat.ioOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

I use my server with the steam headless docker and that way I always have games available to stream to my phone. It’s nice that it’s a docker container because then the gpu can be shared between that and plex. You can then install sunshine on the docker and moonlight on your phone or a laptop

• dlpkl@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Does anyone remember the PlayStation TV where you could have split screen and the active 3d glasses would only show you your own screen? That was so dope, I miss the golden age of gaming.

• Glowstick@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Get a card in pc1 that does video input. Connect the video output of pc2 into the video input of pc1. Now the video of pc2 will be in a window on the screen of pc1.