• jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Room temperature superconductors are right up there with fusion technology. Both are going to dramatically change the way the world works. Lossless transmission lines will save so much energy.

• Ziggurat@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

If the recent Korean paper isn’t a scam it’s pretty huge. Even if it isn’t as big as announced (like a very low but positive resistance) it can already be a game changer for some applications

• jet@hackertalks.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Assuming it’s real, and depending on the future size, it could do faster CPUs without heat loss. So you would pack more silicon more densely without worrying about waste heat. Transmission lines would be more efficient. We lose something like 30 to 40% of our generated energy to transmission lines. So massive massive if it’s true

• Nioxic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Micro LEDs.

Consider an OLED, but no drawbacks, lower power consumption and no burnin. Already available but currently extreme expensive. (Samsung in korea sells one if i recall)

Solid state batteries.

More range on electric cars. Faster charging. Lower (or no?) Risk of fire, if poked. (Reminds me of the old subreddit “spicypillows”). Supposedly arriving in toyota cars by 2027.

• 1984@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I’m hoping suncells and batteries will become really good, so it’s possible to drive your house electricity on only the sun. Would be truly liberating.

• davidgro@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

If it’s real, the new room temp ambient pressure superconductor (LK-99)

Especially because if it is real it can likely lead to an entire new class of materials, not just the one

• corroded@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

If it makes it out of the lab and can be manufactured at scale, it could revolutionize every industry that uses electricity at all, and that is essentially every industry. I look forward to the day I can replace the copper wiring in my house with superconducting NM wire.

• Vcio@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

current one: LK-99, also new types of batteries/energy storage. It would open ways to improve a ton of things.

• godzillabacter@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

AI, especially as it relates to completing daily tasks. I cannot wait until an AI can efficiently sort, delete, and categorize my email so I don’t have to deal with all the junk and FYI emails.

• Fizz@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Ai. I have so much to say. At the moment 99% of my talking is in my head with myself. I would like to have an ai that I can interact with day to day to keep me sane.