• DarkThoughts@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Actually makes me thankful of all the regulations our food suppliers have to follow in the US.

As a European: lol

• hannes3120@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Yeah - was about to do that

I think EU regulations for food and border-free movement between countries are the two most valuable EU advantages by far

• FiniteBanjo@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

I’m not sure what you’re loling about, only major difference between EU and USA nutrition labels are the percentage amount listings.

• NoMoreCocaine@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

IIRC - USA is a lot more arbitrary and less interested in the customer safety (and open for bribery, sorry I mean lobbying) and USA also has a good amount of stuff for sale that’s not allowed in EU.

There’s quite a few articles and videos on the subject, but it’s been a long time since I read or watched any.

• laughterlaughter@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

Is the EU better than the US in this respect? You bet.

Can the US do better? Sure.

But the US is definitely far better with food nutrition labels than many countries with unenforced laws.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

They both require ingredient lists, though. This specific case could easily happen to either the EU or USA.

• DarkThoughts@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I’m laughing because the EU has far stricter food regulations than the US. The way Americans think about news like this is kinda similar to how we see the US from our perspective here.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

You said you view the USA’s regulatory standards as the USA views Nigeria’s but the USA enforces a full ingredient list so that’s kind of nonsensical. If a can of tomatoes went from the USA to EU there would likely be no issue. Even the more chemical sounding names like “Calcium Chloride” salt are commonplace in the EU, in fact I think it was developed there.

I think regulations are better in the EU but you chose a really shit example to use.

• DarkThoughts@fedia.io
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                3 months ago

But it wasn’t just about ingredient lists but food standards and I literally did not use ANY example at all. Please stop the straw manning.

• DarkThoughts@fedia.io
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    3 months ago

dumb mf forgets who he is after 27 minutes.

Maybe read the comment & quote I was replying to before you start with the ad hominem projections, because I did not drop a top level comment that contextualized the thread itself but a comment within it. If you weren’t what you accuse me of, then you would understand that, just like literally everyone else did. Otherwise, by your “dumb mf” logic, you could apply the same shit to your own replies towards me and then start to wonder what the fuck you are talking about, when the topic is about the ingredient list of tomato puree.