• Iron Lynx@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

A horse doesn’t have to be worried about being happy if it ceases to think. Though it’ll also cease to be.

You see, this relies on the concept of “I think, therefore I am,” but if I led with that, I’d be putting Descartes before the horse.

• XEAL@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

How to remove unhappiness: commit self-deletion.

• XEAL@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Once I really tried to bypass them… clearly not well enough, as I’m still here.

Edit: typo

• TheGoldenGod@lemmy.world
          cake
          OP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Sorry to hear that, but I think we all reach that point eventually. Like my vocal subconscious and competitive nature makes it any impossibility, I’ve basically heard the song from Annie, Anything You Can Do when I have to do something lol. Lately getting older forces me to see to accept I can’t will myself to live forever and the inevitability of time. But that’s something everyone has to accept, just have to hope society will make it an easy transition. 🥴

• Diabolo96@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

You know when in movies and shows they add some sort of short scene of what could’ve happened if such or such thing happened. I have hyperphantasia and it’s like that for me but instead of being useful am in constant panic because my brain project in my eyes the worst case scenario of any slightly dangerous situation like it’s really happening. It sucks.

cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I do that, but I assumed it was more anxiety. It used to take roughly an hour to fall asleep, but that’s cut down due to a memory ritual I have that keeps me to preoccupied. It’s a little silly, but I rebuild the entirety of the city of Balmora from Elder Scrolls 3, in my imagination/mind’s eye. Building it item by item and have to hold each item in view as I add more.

• Diabolo96@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

That’s hyperphantasia. My brain too take me on weird adventures before sleep, but for me it can happen without any control over it like some sort of flashback. It doesn’t last long, like a 2-3 seconds . When kid i always had this sort of hallucination that would happen randomly where i open a door very slowly and in the other side is some sort of library and in the center a huge hourglass spinning. All happening in slow motion.

• FartsWithAnAccent@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

CBD is great! I used CBD flower and a Dynavap to quit smoking cigarettes and I’ve been smoke free for years. Less stressed out too.

Meditating is another good way to quiet your mind, but that takes more time and practice. Still worth it though IMO. Same for exercise, even if you’re just going on walks or something.

• OberonSwanson@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Never tried CBD, any suggestions where to start? Good night’s sleep feels like looking for the lost island of Atlantis these days.

cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Unfortunately that seems to be part of growing older, the realization the worlds gone to pot and most in charge aren’t worried.

cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I am actually seeking help, though it’s depressing to see/hear of the number of people out there that don’t have access to assistance. 🫤

• /home/pineapplelover@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

The author has snippets of her book here. But, they’re a bunch of funny stories throughout her life and how she’s been dealing with depression. I’ve read it multiple times and I love the book.

Here’s a quote from the website:

What kind of stories are in it?

Of the new stories, there are two new stories about my dogs, a story about a letter I wrote to my future self when I was ten, a story about the use of fear and shame as motivational tools, a story about the time my mother tried to take my sister and I on an adventure and ended up getting us all lost in the woods, a story about all the illogical internal rules I have for how reality should be and what happens when reality doesn’t give a shit about my rules, a story about a toy parrot, a story about a lie I told as a child that spiraled completely out of control, a story about my identity and how I use it to prevent myself from realizing how shitty I actually am, and a cautionary tale about what happens when you try to fix everything about yourself all at once.

cake
          OP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

The start of this was me trying to fix everything all at once, something I knew wasn’t great, I got cocky. 😣

• kamenLady.@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Well, this is a simple solution. If you want to be happy and still alive, you’ll need to only stop with certain thoughts 💭

cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Which is a conundrum when the subconscious is naturally very vocal. It was once a boon in school or general memory retention, but now it’s like a ghost.

cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I learned the first one early on, happiness is a bit of an adult fairytale, like Santa Claus. You’ll always end up reaching for something new, and you realize you rarely gain satisfaction for the stress. I also found this meme really summarized the problem: