• AlternateRoute@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Some people purchase a phone based on looks, some for customization, others for specific apps, some it comes just down to what they can afford

I can come up with strong reasons to use Window or MacOS as your primary desktop os. IOS or Android as your phone OS. Windows / Linux / BSD for a server or appliance OS.

If someone thinks one size fits all THEY are the ones that should not be trusted in terms of tech insights.

• muntedcrocodile@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

I can’t think of on3 scenario that windows is the best option for a server. I mean unless its its a virtual desktop for a thin client but still usually would run that in a Linux vm

• d3Xt3r@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

can’t think of on3 scenario that windows is the best option for a server.

There are plenty of enterprise scenarios: eg an AD server for Windows clients, a DFS server, or servers to run certain Windows-only applications such as SCCM etc.

• AlternateRoute@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

BSD has a very narrow set of benefits over Linux based systems I could say the same for BSD which mostly amounts to network appliances / firewalls these days. I would say NAS but Even trueNAS is moving toward linux.