• AlternateRoute@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Some people purchase a phone based on looks, some for customization, others for specific apps, some it comes just down to what they can afford

I can come up with strong reasons to use Window or MacOS as your primary desktop os. IOS or Android as your phone OS. Windows / Linux / BSD for a server or appliance OS.

If someone thinks one size fits all THEY are the ones that should not be trusted in terms of tech insights.

• muntedcrocodile@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

I can’t think of on3 scenario that windows is the best option for a server. I mean unless its its a virtual desktop for a thin client but still usually would run that in a Linux vm

• d3Xt3r@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

can’t think of on3 scenario that windows is the best option for a server.

There are plenty of enterprise scenarios: eg an AD server for Windows clients, a DFS server, or servers to run certain Windows-only applications such as SCCM etc.

• AlternateRoute@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

BSD has a very narrow set of benefits over Linux based systems I could say the same for BSD which mostly amounts to network appliances / firewalls these days. I would say NAS but Even trueNAS is moving toward linux.

• d00phy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I work around a lot of technical people. From software to devops, sys admins to hardware engineers, entry level to exec suite; and I have contacts around the world from my job. It’s a mixed bag as to which phone they all use, and it’s never had any effect on how I view their technical abilities. My personal phone is an iPhone, and my work one is a pixel 7 pro. It’s been that way for over a decade. There are things I like and dislike about both platforms. At the end of the day the “technical” things I do have little, if anything, to do with my phone.

Any personal judgement a stranger makes based on phone, OS, sportsball team, etc really only highlights their own childishness, need for something to lord over others, and propensity towards tribalism. I have no time for that BS.

• Roopappy@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Yep. I use either and both. They are both phones that work well and have annoying issues.

• weeeeum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

I think tech guys are split on apple because of the different priorities. Apple has a very clean, optimized and seamless OS and ecosystem.

Apple is also objectively extremely anti-consumer as well. No side loading, proprietary software and hardware, ludicrously overpriced hardware, locked down OS, and highly monopolistic. All of these only get stronger the more who use Apple, and so many tech people are turned off by it.

Personally, I am more of the latter. I don’t care if my phone is a Nokia 3310 in comparison. I’d rather die standing than live kneeling.

• d00phy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

No sideloading? Sure iOS and iPadOS are pretty locked down, but homebrew? Most of the apps on my Mac didn’t come from the App Store.

As for the price, sure they’re expensive, but they last! I have a 2006 mini still kicking around, a 2013 iMac still chugging along… neither still receive updates, but that doesn’t stop me from running some flavor of Linux on them for one reason or another. On that front, Apple has pissed me off a bit, though. The first Mac I used was a G4 that got software updates for right around 10-years. The mini I have got about the same. The iMac got 8 years, IIRC. That made me mad.

• sunaurus@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

For context I use all of these daily: Linux (servers + handheld gaming), Windows (gaming), Mac OS (work & general purpose). I used one of the first iPhones around 2008, then exclusively Android for 10 years, and then back to iPhones.

Iphone users of Lemmy, people say not to trust you on tech insights.

IMO, these “people” with such takes are the only ones who shouldn’t be trusted on tech insights here :P

• willya@lemmyf.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

There’s plenty of complete tech idiots on both sides and geniuses on both sides. Lemmy is hardcore Linux, everything should be free. Anything apple is shit on.

• Footnote2669@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Fuck em. I don’t want to talk to them anyway. If having a phone preference different than them is a problem

• wellDuuh@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

I am not in love with the apple ecosystem.

This.

Edit:

The monthlies

itune subscription fee : $10 Apple tv: $9

Let’s say you save and take the apple one, still, $20 every month! ($240 every year, recursively) On top of prepaid internet subscriptions!

Am I the only one who’s seeing this?

• NaN@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

I’d be upset if any phone prevented me from subscribing to optional cross-platform features, yes.

• kirklennon@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

How is this relevant to anything at all? If you want a streaming music subscription, you can pay for one. If not, don’t. You can use any service you want on an iPhone, and you can likewise use Apple Music on an Android phone. The availability of services is just a totally separate issue.

• wellDuuh@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

You can use any service you want on an iPhone,

Is it possible to play music offline, that one receives from, say whatsapp? Or airdropped from another phone?

• kirklennon@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Of course you can. The iPhone never lost any of the basic features of the iPod and is perfectly capable of storing and playing DRM-free music in popular formats.

• Hamartiogonic@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

The phone you use doesn’t say anything about your tech insights. Why should it?

However, it may tell you something about the kinds of things the person values. If price matters, you’ll go with the cheapest Android. If features matter, you’ll go with a flagship Android. If privacy matters, you’ll get a specific Android phone and install GrapheneOS on it.

There are also a variety of reasons for getting an iPhone, and they may reflect your values in some way.

• wellDuuh@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

There are also a variety of reasons for getting an iPhone, and they may reflect your values in some way.

Yummy. Tell me more

• idiomaddict@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I bought a refurbished €100 iPhone SE the year before last, and it’s survived being dropped literally scores of times, awful charging practices, and nobody else wants it. Before that, it was a €125 6+ that I got rid of because it was too big and made my hand hurt. Before that it was an iPhone 4 that was given to me in 2012, which only died when I ran it over with a car.

My reasons are: free/cheap, easy profile transfer, high functionality regardless of how I treat it.

100%, I’m not tech savvy, especially for lemmy standards (I don’t get asked to do tech things for family, but I can generally troubleshoot problems I encounter). I am cheap regarding time and money though, and it’s simply economics. If you’ve got a consistent android alternative where I can spend €375 (assuming the first wasn’t free, but a similar price to the others) for three phones (or fewer) that function well for my purposes (browser, data heavy apps, and a lot of dumb screenshots) over 12 years, I’m down.

• TheWeirdestCunt@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

I’m still running an original 2016 SE and even 8 years after release it’s still going strong and getting updates, the only reason I’m looking to upgrade is because it’s a struggle to keep it charged all day even with a battery bank case. Idk why all new phones are so massive now but I hate that I can’t find anything anywhere near the same size as the SE.

• idiomaddict@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Mine’s also an original SE, I just got it refurbished 😅 The battery it came with is still going strong, though I also have an external battery pack because I got really into Pokémon go, so I’m not relying on its battery much.

I have had to change iPhone batteries before and replacement batteries weren’t super expensive (€40-70, with a proprietary set of tools that is something like €20). Now that I have a cat it would be a challenge, but it’s not too complicated if you watch a walk-through first and keep track of your screws.

• Hamartiogonic@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Some people like the looks. Some people buy one because it serves as a status symbol. Some people just go with the flow and buy one, simply because everyone else already has one. Some people appreciate the coherent UI. Some people already use various other Apple products and services, so they prefer to get the synergy of also using an iPhone.

I don’t really care much about any of those things, but I have some special software and hardware that only works with vanilla or OEM Android and iOS. Trust me, I tried lots of different tweaks and hacks, but eventually had to face the harsh reality that nowadays things are specifically designed to prevent people like me from doing whatever I want. If things had worked with Lineage or Graphene, I would obviously be using those instead. Since that isn’t the case, I had to pick the least offensive one from a list of two awful options. This decisions shows that I value the compatibility that comes with an iPhone.

I’m sure there are lots of other reasons too.

• SuiXi3D@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Back in the day, iPhones ran more and better games. I just never switched to Android. To be fair, I’m also currently rocking a four year old iPhone and will continue to do so until it dies. We’ll see what happens from there… I’ll probably just try and get it fixed.

• TheFriendlyDickhead@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

If all your friends have an apple phone it’s easy to buy one too. They have some features that makes having an android in an apple friend group quite anoying. For example the classic: “I’m going to air drop you the picture.” And then only after every apple user in the room has got the picture they think about sending it the classic way to the outsider. It doesn’t sound like much, but it doesn’t just happen with air drop, but with a lot of those features. Source: I’m the android guy in an apple friend group.

They all are far from techy… I think it’s wrong to generalize, but I think if you don’t know shit it’s easier to go with apple. Android usualy is far more customizable, but some people just don’t care and want a phone that just works. And for those apple can be the right option, because in general it’s easier to understand at a first glance.

• theareciboincident@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Yep, I don’t give a shit about AirDrop or even use the ecosystem. Just iPhone and AirPods.

iPhone because I am a discerning consumer whose current life needs fit it better. AirPods because they are best in class for iPhones (yes due to anti consumer policies). In college sure I customized the heck out of my androids.

Now I just want something that runs fast and reliably browses the internet. AdGuard takes care of the rest.

I used to buy proper Samsung/LG flagship Androids and absolutely loved them for my needs at the time. But every single one went to complete shit after 2 years. Huge battery drain, slow and unresponsive, no updates.

My iPhone is 3.5 years old, still blazing fast, battery drain consistent with degradation, still getting updates, still no need to get a new phone.

This entire debate is literally the bell curve soyjack meme lmao but I had fun typing at least!

• TheWeirdestCunt@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Ngl I don’t think I’ve ever used airdrop in the last 5 years other than trying to use it once or twice during covid, people weren’t showing up though no matter what my settings were so idk what happened.

• dan1101@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Yeah I’ve seen family and friends struggle with airdrop, there are always 1 or 2 it doesn’t work for so they might as well be Android.

• TexMexBazooka@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

So I originally bought one due do family circumstances. A family member was in a heavily HEAVILY censored part of the world- the type of place that you can’t get emails or text messages out of. The type of place where any communication sent over their network WAS being monitored, so you had to speak very carefully.

iMessage was the only 100% reliable method of contact, so I got an iPhone and just haven’t upgraded since.

• TORFdot0@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Who says that? Seems kind of silly to put some one in a box based on their phone OS preference

• kirbowo808@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Propertiary software esp iMessage and other apps I rely on atm, has kinda prevented me from moving to fully android. I have started to use Linux on my laptop permanently though.