I noticed a post from a Beehaw community on my feed today, but I thought we were defederated. Did we refederate?

• AFK BRB Chocolate@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I’ve been sorting by different methods and going a bunch of pages in - I’m not sure where it was or even what the post was about. It just struck me after I had paged past that I’d seen that instance. I’ll watch for it again - thank you for your replies.

Edit: could a Beehaw account post here? Maybe I saw it in a username.

• Mountaineer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

My understanding is that no one on that instance can see any of us on any instance.
      So no, they couldn’t post to lemmy.world.
      They could post to somewhere we both federate too, such as lemmy.ml and we would be able to see that post, but if we respond to them, they wouldn’t see our post.

• soupspoon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Seems like that’s gonna lead to some weird threads. What if someone from the third instance responds to our comment, will Beehaw see that comment seemingly responding to nobody?

• zkfcfbzr@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

It was a bit inaccurate: On other instances that are federated with both us and Beehaw, we can interact with Beehaw users and they can interact with us. That’s because in that case it’s the third instance handling the federation - they send the information to both us and Beehaw. All Beehaw’s defederation does is stop receiving information from lemmy.world directly, and stop sending information about itself to lemmy.world.