• swiftcasty@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

The leotard in question is worn by the model on the far right who, even though she is cut off, visibly has her hands covering her groin area. Perhaps a re-design is in order?

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I can’t be the only one to notice that Nike thinks that able women should be sexualized, but disabled ones should wear long pants. I’m not sure which women that is more insulting to.

• ryan213@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

There’s no sexism on sport. Wtf are you talking about?!

/s just in case.

• ObsidianNebula@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

What’s going on with Nike and their uniforms? The MLB ones are pretty bad where you can basically see through the pants, and now this.

• NegativeInf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Gotta grift somewhere. Make that fabric shear so we use less and just call it “breathable” and “form fitted.” And then charge em 3 times more.

• Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I doubt anyone at Nike is giving two shits about the fabric savings for the Olympic team uniforms lol

• TGTX@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Uniforms on the MLB side seem to be getting worse after the start of the season. There have been instances already of pants just ripping apart. Now, there have been sweat stain issues with the uniforms too. Some teams like the Mariners, Rangers, and Brewers are still waiting on full uniform sets. It’s been a chaotic mess.

• Otakulad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Uniforms should be issued, not designed by the country. Some countries have invested $10,000s of dollars to ensure their athletes have the least amount of drag, namely in swimming. At that point, it isn’t the talent of the athlete, it’s the clothes. Put everyone on even playing ground clothes wise.

• Ilovemyirishtemper@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I thought the same thing. The article mentions Brazilian waxes, and my immediate thought was f-that. Go full bush. You wanna see what my junk is really like? Feel free to view it in its natural state.

• ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Girls are much more likely than boys to drop out of competitive sports. It’s little wonder when revealing kits are highlighted on the global stage

It’s likely more to do with pay and societal pressures

• jeffw@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

And that argument is discussed in the article. Doesn’t mean it isn’t sexist

• FontMasterFlex@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

how is it sexist? women are allowed to wear the mens gear if they want. it’s up to the athlete to choose.

• BreakDecks@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Too bad the promotional image doesn’t show more than one option for each gender, and itself shows the different aesthetic expectations of men and women competing in the Olympics.

• FontMasterFlex@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

that’s a failure of the publication, not nike. like i said, it’s sensationalism at it’s best.