Hello. I’m looking for a more private (for obicous reasons) and fast discord client for android, since the app is terrible and preforms terribly on my relatively old phone. I can’t change to something like matrix/signal, since I can’t convert other people.

• moonpiedumplings@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Discord is adding ads soon. Currently, they don’t enforce the TOS violation of custom clients, but maybe after they add ads, they will begin to do so. I would be very careful with any of this.

• N0x0n@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Not what you’re looking for… I just hope when They will add ads, people will switch to revolt

But People don’t care, so they don’t give a fuck…

• GolfNovemberUniform@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Revolt is very interesting but it’s basically going through a complete rebuild now and it’s not fully featured yet. We all want people to switch to better software but Revolt needs some more time I think (unless you don’t care about absence of native mobile clients and video calls). We don’t want new users immediately getting frustrated and switching back to the big tech garbage

• Tak@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Other platforms with ads haven’t really seen people move off those platforms. I feel like once it reaches that critical mass of being nearly ubiquitous it takes a massive problem to push people off of it. Look at SMS in the US and how it’s refused to die compared to other markets because it has reached saturation and now the only challenge to that ubiquity is iMessage who basically lives off being a fake SMS service.

• powermaker450
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Aliucord is a good client mod, not of the new react native version, but the old 126.21 version. much faster than the laggy react garbage

• Tixanou@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

This. It’s also a bit more private, since it removes most of the tracking by default

It’s not completely open-source, because Discord itself isn’t, but i don’t think any open-source discord front-end actually exists…

• d3Xt3r@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Discordo is a completely open-source frontend, and it’s a native TUI app written 100% in Go - no Electron/HTML/Javascript crap.

If you want a GUI app and something not so barebones, there’s Dissent - a GTK4 app, also written in Go, with no Electron/HTML/Javascript crap.

And if you’re a Qt fan, there’s also QTCord, written in Python.

cc: @powermaker450@discuss.tchncs.de

• powermaker450
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

yeah none do. dev behind opencord tried to do it but it’s been on hiatus ever since

• Persen@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I never had good experiebce with this app. It’s too buggy, it crashes alot and plugins usually don’t work.

• erAckA
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Whatever client you use, there is no privacy with Discord. Period. Full stop.

• Captain Beyond@linkage.ds8.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Privacy isn’t the only reason to use free software. Some people have contacts on Discord that they don’t want to lose touch with. Of course, like all proprietary silo networks, Discord is best avoided if possible.

• erAckA
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

They are “looking for a more private” client. With the centralized Discord service that does anything it wants with any message there is no such thing.

• PoorPocketsMcNewHold@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Here’s a full repo listing third-party stuff for Discord including clients. https://github.com/Discord-Client-Encyclopedia-Management/Discord3rdparties

Spoiler

None of them exist on Android. You have Discord clients mods like the recommended pre-react version, Aliucord which while outdated (But still working and supported by the project !) fix the slowness issues of the current version. Vencord has a proof-of-concept WPA app too but it’s still mostly just browsing the main website so it ain’t ideal. I would like to point out Beeper https://www.beeper.com/, which is Matrix based and aim to easily use their self-hosted (Or your self-hosted !) bridges to different services, including Discord ! Not ideal outside of small servers or just DM’s however (but you can customize which synced servers you want in it).

• Persen@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Wow, thanks for the info. Pre react version is actually somehow performant. I couldn’t really sefhost beeper, since I don’t have my own home network.

• PoorPocketsMcNewHold@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

You could just also use your own VPS but i digress. It seems they plan on keeping their app proprietary with just the bridge tools to be able to be used with their app. (You could do use the individual matrix-bridges services however as an alternative but again, Beeper seems to be the only service that offer such hosting for direct usage)

• onlooker@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

For similar reasons to your own, I tried a few different Discord frontends a while back so I could chat with one of my friends who lives abroad. I never found a winner. They either wouldn’t connect or would be missing tons of features (for example: one of them only let you watch the chat, not participate in it). I also seem to remember reading somewhere that Discord is pretty aggressive when it comes to third party apps. It’s their app or nothing. You might have better luck than I did, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

And as others have mentioned, if you’re looking for privacy, Discord ain’t it. Sorry I couldn’t give you a more helpful response.

• Persen@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Well as far as I know beeper is still closed source and probably as private as the oficcial Discord app. Correct me if I’m wrong.

• Captain Beyond@linkage.ds8.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Beeper is proprietary but their Matrix bridges are all free software, as far as I am aware. I think you can also use a free software client with Beeper’s service (that’s what people have said in the last Beeper thread I’ve seen).

• Blisterexe@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

well, i wouldnt go that far, as their privacy policy is better, and their server-side is open source. But i wasnt really recommending using beeper (the app), i was recommending self-hosting the beeper bridges