The use case is basically so that all my family members we can check that “John has an old laptop collecting dust” or “Mary has this specific tool that I’d love to use for my current project”.

It would be awesome if you could also have a private inventory, aside from the “shared knowledge”.

So, what do you guys use for this? Maybe it does not have to be self hosted, but I have a sense the best solutions for this use case are.

• @node815@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2319 days ago

Homebox - before we relocate - whenever that is, I will be printing labels and putting them under and behind my stuff, scanning it into there and then will use that to keep track of our items after the move to know what is in which box etc.

NocoDB Self Hosted (I use this for a few things) - started out with my network ip’s I have on my servers and ports for my containers and most recently a sleep log.

Just a couple there.

• @johntash@eviltoast.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      118 days ago

Any idea how Homebox compares to Grocy? I want to try both, but gave up on trying to use snipe-it a while back because of the effort needed to input everything. Both of these look simpler though

• @megaman
      link
      English
      118 days ago

Ive started using homebox and i like it. Granted, i only use it for myself right now, not sure how it works for multiple people and public vs private repos

• @4am@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    319 days ago

Grocy is a neat project for stuff like this. Also available as a HomeAssistant add-on, if that’s your style

• @unknowing8343OP
      link
      English
      119 days ago

Oh, wow, I do have HAOS on my Pi so this one is a strong strong candidate.

• Saik0
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    19 days ago

Snipe-IT: https://snipeitapp.com/

You can self-host https://github.com/snipe/snipe-it or use their system. It definitely more enterprisey/business focused, but would work fine for this request. Can even do automatic email notifications and stuff for device/tool requests. Eg. You have a tool and someone wants it, they can request it and it will fire an email to you that they want it.

• Footnote2669
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    19 days ago

I’ve heard good things about grocy not sure if it fits your case

• Onno (VK6FLAB)
        link
        fedilink
        English
        819 days ago

OP said:

Maybe it does not have to be self hosted, but I have a sense the best solutions for this use case are.

I responded with the quickest, simplest, cheapest solution currently available. It provides all requested functionality and didn’t include a requirement that OP indicated was optional.