fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

No one is being forced

I think you misunderstood his hyperbole as a literal thing

Of course people aren’t putting a gun to your head. But there are often consequences for not doing it.

• refalo@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

I have personally seen many instances of people getting banned or suspended from communities for either misgendering people (intentionally or not), or refusing to use their preferred pronouns.

But due to a real concern of retaliation or getting banned here myself, I will not be providing specific examples.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Sorry… that’s what you’re talking about? People being banned on internet forums? Big fucking deal.

• refalo@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

There are also real world instances of violence over the same things if you do a quick web search.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

Sorry, it’s not my job to prove your claims. If there are real world instances of violence, I’m sure you can provide them and show they were definitely unprovoked.

• duffman@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

You sound pretty ignorant. Intentionally misgendering someone at work would get you canned pretty fast at most corporate jobs.

There’s no reason to reason not to just refer to people their gender identity but you are either lying or very unaware of corporate culture.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

You mean harassing someone at work will get you fired. That’s true no matter what type of harassment it is. That has nothing to do with pronouns. You could get fired for repeatedly calling someone at work a panda.