• andrew
      link
      fedilink
      English
      519 days ago

The stupidest system is always the one I didn’t build myself. 😤

I say this in the engineering sense. I didn’t build capitalism please don’t hate me.

• @loaExMachina@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    2920 days ago

Keep breaking my system while trying to fix bugs, then fix or reinstall, distro-hop when I’m out of bugs, call it permanent revolution.

• rem26_art
    link
    fedilink
    1620 days ago

i swear half the problems i try to fix are ones ive created for myself lmao

• Destide
    link
    fedilink
    English
    319 days ago

What was that did you just hang for one cycle?! That’s it get my ventoy

• KillingTimeItself
    link
    fedilink
    English
    120 days ago

about a week prior to KDE6 dropping, i woke up and decided that i must aggressively delete KDE entirely, and move over to i3wm.

I missed the KDE6 fiasco, and am a very happy boy now. Fuck managing windows, floating window managers were a mistake.

• @e8d79OP
      link
      620 days ago

Haven’t heard anything about a fiasco, the KDE 6 upgrade went smoothly for me. I just use Polonium for my auto-tiling needs.

• KillingTimeItself
        link
        fedilink
        English
        119 days ago

i’ve seen at least one person talk about it, and two people discussing it. These kinds of things tend to be very hit or miss, some people get imploded, others see literally nothing happen. And a few will have very weird minor breakages.

• @greyfox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      319 days ago

One nice thing about KDE compared to most of the other DEs is that the window manager (kwin) is separate from the underlying components, and it can be replaced!

There are many walkthroughs like this one out there: https://github.com/heckelson/i3-and-kde-plasma

You get i3 for tiling window management but you still get to use KDE’s system settings to do configuration like display settings, themes keyboard shortcuts, etc, just like you did before. You can also pick and choose which parts of the KDE desktop you want to keep (menu, krunner, etc)

Since i3 is just a window manager and is lacking all of that system level stuff it really rounds out i3 to feel like a full DE instead of having to piece together other tools to do those things.

• KillingTimeItself
        link
        fedilink
        English
        119 days ago

i’ve heard about this, never looked into it because it was about the same effort as just using a dynamic tiling WM anyway. Sounds like it would only be funkier if i did replace it.

even then 90% of what has annoyed me since switching is theming, which is pretty self contained already. So that’s easy enough to fix, except for QT theming because it just has to break everything that exists.

But yeah, it’s cool having this be a thing in linux for sure.

• @APassenger@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        220 days ago

No. The poster meant it one way and I mistook where I was.

I deleted my response but it looks like some people (instances?) still see it.

It’s solidly my fault.