My question is once this procedure has been completed and say the person really got into some heavy cardio and thus were burning a lot of fat would the body be able to burn the fat that was moved to the buttocks or does it not have the associated blood vessels to enable this?

I’m not even sure if that’s how lipids are metabolised, but I assume it’s through the blood.

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I very much appreciate you were doing an ELI5 answer for this, so forgive my if I’m dissecting this too closely.

When you deplete your short term energy stores, the body converts fat molecules within fat cells into sugar, then shuttles those through the body in the blood stream.

Your body uses up all sugar in the blood (glucose), then exhausts short term energy stores including Glycogen in your muscles and liver next. At that point (given enough time and no re-introduction of glucose from eating), doesn’t your body go into Ketosis? So your liver would be taking fat from your body and converting it to Ketones to power your brain and body. I didn’t think Ketones were a sugar.

Alternatively, if you don’t burn through all your body’s glucose, your body can use some glucose and some fat to produce energy when operating with enough oxygen (aerobic).

Do I have that right?

• Lemminary@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

doesn’t your body go into Ketosis?

Yes, ketosis happens within a few days of limiting sugar intake.

I didn’t think Ketones were a sugar.

You’re right, they’re very different molecules. Ketone bodies can be converted into sugars by the enzymes in the liver if your body needs them, but they’re not sugars themselves.

• Andy@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Honestly, I don’t recall the details. What I shared was my best recollection. I think what you said sounds reasonable, but I can’t reliably say.