• GeneralEmergency@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Just once I would like to open one of these threads and not see a bunch of lemmites embarrassing themselves by deliberately misinterpreting something.

• NickwithaC@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Yeah, I was kinda hoping for better when I posted. Seems like many of the sons who need this talk are on here.

• GeneralEmergency@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

The sad part is, you can tell some of them understand the point being made. But are either over reacting and making this about gender warfare. Or taking the scenario seriously, and trying to mock it that way.

• Melvin_Ferd@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Its disparaging to an entire gender. I would argue lots of people need many talks. Lots of evil out there and many of it goes unnoticed or is accepted due to current cultural climate. Including passive aggressive disparaging questions meant to vilify men.

• Leg@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I’d say we’re right to be disparaged against, up until we get our collective act together as men. Women should be wary of us for the simple fact that it aids in their survival. A comment like hers is at the very bottom of my list of things to change.

• ECB@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

Honestly, I know you mean we’ll but I find statements like this extremely dangerous and damaging.

There isn’t some ‘international council of men’ that could collectively sort anything out. Ideas like blaming the whole gender is part of the reason why we have a rise in far-right sentiment among young men, as it’s easy to feel like the world is against you for things that you personally have no say in. Young men (just like anyone else) need support, and not to be blamed for bad-behavior of others!

Instead it’s up to those of us (the vast majority) who don’t represent toxic masculinity to set a compassionate example

• Leg@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

Women are going to be wary for as long as they have reason to. You’re essentially just stating that we shouldn’t talk about this fact because it hurts the feelings of men who were probably part of the problem to begin with. It’s on those men to listen to the feedback and internalize it, not on women to keep their opinions to themselves.

• Stromatose@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

They didn’t say that at all. What they are trying to express is that stereotypes, such as “men are usually dangerous to women”, or “women should fear men just in case”, are disingenuous ideas that harm both sides.

Some men are good people and some are bad. Some women are good people and some are bad.

Condemning either group for the actions of a few perpetuates the stereotype by making impressionable indiviuals on both sides of the equation start accepting the “complimentary” stereotypes just because they observe a few correlations from time to time.

Before long, critical thinking goes out the window, correlation is assumed to be causation and you’ve got men reacting aggressively to posts that say they are dangerous and women saying “I chose the bear!” even though they know that is staticallyess safe because it aligns with the message they think they need to share because they buy into the same stereotype the men did and vice versa.

It runs parallel to the same sort of thing playing out in politics around the world though it’s certainly more pronounced in the US thanks to the two party system and volume of communication.

Talking about the issue is fine but this discourse is flawed. Imagine how it would play out if the question was “white people, would you rather be stranded on a island with a black person or an alligator?”

And now your argument would be “white people should be afraid of black people until they are given a reason not to be.”

Doesn’t that sound really messed up to say? I hope so because it felt bad just to type out for the purpose of this comparison.

Each person is an individual unto themselves and I think if you can agree with that, then there is no rationale that can support group stereotypes in human psychology.

• Leg@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  2 months ago

I do understand the point you’re making, but the example in the OP has more layers to me than strictly speaking about a bear vs. a man.

It shouldn’t take an incredible leap in logic to ascertain that the comparison is meant to present simply that “men are dangerous to women”. Actually picking the bear is evocative hyperbole. All any man would need to take from this is “I should strive not to make women feel this way”.

If a man takes this sentiment personally and then becomes a threat to a woman, that man is interpreting in bad faith and in fact wants to threaten women. We have a system of patriarchy precisely because men feel superior to women, and women have little they can do about it. I’d wager these angry men were going to find their excuse to exercise their superiority regardless of what a woman says. This rift exists without anyone else’s help, regardless of if you want to accept that’s what it is. We need more clueless yet compassionate men to understand a woman’s struggle, not less. If we pretend that there aren’t a worrying number of dangerous men, we are those dangerous men.

I could write excessively about how a white person describing a black person as dangerous is far and away a completely different conversation from this, but I don’t want to expend the characters. Tiniest tl;dr, the power dynamics and history are not the same (they’re roughly inversed, in fact), and your example has a legitimately sinister reason to happen. It’s far from a 1:1 comparison.

• Stromatose@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    2 months ago

I do not disagree that the two things have vastly different histories but that isn’t the point of the conversation to be had. A woman’s fear of interactions with any random man is her perception molded by her life experiences.

I am not a woman so of course I can not speak with my own experiences on this through my own lens but I have had many conversations with the various women in my life to atleast recognize a portion of their perspectives.

I do also concede that they have explained feeling more fearful around men than I can relate to as a man with a physically imposing stature most of my life.

I totally understand that I don’t know what it’s like to be a woman in a male oriented society and to be looked at like an object as they sometimes are.

HOWEVER, not one of these female friends, family, or partners had ever been sexually assaulted and of all of them, only two had ever been in physical altercations with a 1 man each.

Now before you jump on that as an “aha!” moment, consider that theae incidents occurred in their 30s.

As a generally mildly mannered person, I have also found myself in physical altercations with other men a few times in my life… More so than my female friends.

Only one incident in your whole life as evidence of violence and ready to consider all men as dangerous? Wtf?

How can you have such a low opinion of 50% of the people in your life that you think they are worse than a wild animal? It’s unfounded in reality

• Mr_pichon@jlai.lu
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  2 months ago

Condemning either group for the actions of a few

Is not what Kate Lister or feminist in general are doing. They’re saying that they are afraid of being alone with a man, this is just how they feel.

they observe a few correlations from time to time

Here in France, 96% of sexual assaults are performed by men. I don’t think you could find a country where the statistic goes the other way. “a few correlations from time to time” really doesn’t reflect the reality of the situation. It’s not some correlation, it’s a systemic issue in our society.

Before long, critical thinking goes out the window, correlation is assumed to be causation and you’ve got men reacting aggressively to posts that say they are dangerous and women saying “I chose the bear!” even though they know that is staticallyess safe because it aligns with the message they think they need to share because they buy into the same stereotype the men did and vice versa.

I actually agree that critical thinking goes out the window ! “I chose the bear!” is meant to express that women are afraid of men. The fact that most women would actually be terrified of an encounter with a bear or that they are statistically safer with a man than with a bear is irrelevant. Women want to send a message and instead of listening, you are correcting them on a technicality.

Talking about the issue is fine but this discourse is flawed.

The fact that you are only talking about the discourse and not the actual problem makes me wonder if you really want the issue to be resolved

Imagine how it would play out if the question was “white people, would you rather be stranded on a island with a black person or an alligator?”

This is a terrible comparison. When woman say they are afraid of men, it’s a dominated group being afraid of its dominators. With your black perso/alligator question, it’s a case of dominators being afraid of a group its dominating.

• Stromatose@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    2 months ago

Is not what Kate Lister or feminist in general are doing. They’re saying that they are afraid of being alone with a man, this is just how they feel.

Isn’t it though? That’s the subtext of saying you are afraid of men. It pretty directly carries the idea that all men are a group that should be feared by women for the potential dangers they represent.

Here in France, 96% of sexual assaults are performed by men. I don’t think you could find a country where the statistic goes the other way. “a few correlations from time to time” really doesn’t reflect the reality of the situation. It’s not some correlation, it’s a systemic issue in our society.

That does little to establish the likelihood of any given man to sexually assault a women. A stat like that is talking about a populate that is comprised entirely of perpetrators of sexual assault. This would be like saying saying “96% of drowning happens in bodies of water” The stat we would need to see instead would be “what % of men will commit at least one instance of sexual assault in their lifetime” and the population sample would need to be all men that resided in a specific location for say 60 years of their life. I’m sure someone more skilled with statistics than myself could express what I’m trying to say more accurately but I hope I explained well enough you can see what I was trying to convey atleast.

I actually agree that critical thinking goes out the window ! “I chose the bear!” is meant to express that women are afraid of men. The fact that most women would actually be terrified of an encounter with a bear or that they are statistically safer with a man than with a bear is irrelevant. Women want to send a message and instead of listening, you are correcting them on a technicality.

When a message predicates itself on a falsehood it should be criticized. How can you have a worthwhile discussion when your invitation to the conversation is a a lie? It’s like a time share or a MLM, the premise is a lie so everything that follows is not tainted by that even if there is some truth in it.

The fact that you are only talking about the discourse and not the actual problem makes me wonder if you really want the issue to be resolved

So disagreeing with a conversation being built on a lie and advancing a stereotype implies I want oppress women? That’s reaching pretty hard. I’m not saying women aren’t experiencing an unfair circumstance and that their feelings are invalid. I’m saying that this is the wrong way to discuss it because it means the audience who needs to hear it most is presented with cognitive dissonance upfront and a very vocal portion of the women trying to share their experience are shocked and insulted that the men won’t listen or try to defend themselves. Of course that was going to happen when you open the conversation up with nonsense rhetoric and now we silenced women with credible stories to share while galvanizing the very men who need to hear this shit the most from trusting the women with the stories to tell.

You wouldn’t bring loud-mouthed, personal insult slinging demagouges to a debate and expect a favorable outcome would you?

This is a terrible comparison. When woman say they are afraid of men, it’s a dominated group being afraid of its dominators. With your black perso/alligator question, it’s a case of dominators being afraid of a group its dominating.

It doesnt matter what order you put the adjectives in. It’s a terrible comparison because any comparison like this is predicated on stereotypes whether they are gender, racial, religious, or whatever. There is no valid stereotype for individual psychology at such a broad demographic level.

• Leg@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

We have to keep trying. Speaking as a black American who knows America’s history with black people, it’s important that we don’t give up just because we haven’t succeeded yet. Change of this magnitude takes a proportional amount of time.

• AnalogyAddict@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

Yep. “Not all _____” just sidesteps the point and tries to make it all about you. When someone not of my demographic says people in my demographic are hurting them, it’s time for me to shut up and listen. It’s not about me.

• yamanii@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Seriously OP, what did you expect by posting the textbook a example of a clickbait article?

• NickwithaC@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

That at least one comment would get that men need to start challenging other men to get this problem solved?

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

How does hyperbole help foster an open conversation?

I’m male, though I consider myself non-conforming, for context. I’ve ridden home on the metro with coworkers in their thirties because it’s 8 PM and they don’t feel safe - and I have friends that are SA survivors. The difference in perception is absolutely something to be aware of and if you think most women can enjoy a nice 3 AM walk without massive anxiety you’re clearly out of touch.

This is an important conversation to have and it’s important to be more aware of what gestures we might make that can be perceived as threatening, however, this article was posed with such a hyperbolic title that it won’t ever spur those conversations. Were the misogynistic assholes that responded with “You’re gonna wish you had a man” to the author assholes? Absolutely. But even a charitable reading of the title doesn’t yield a helpful place to start a conversation.