• kobra@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I tried IVPN recently but had a ton of trouble getting MLB.tv streams to work. Switched back to ExpressVPN for now.

• opt9@feddit.ch
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

IVPN and Mullvad are probably the best VPNs if you simply want to transfer full view of all your internet activity from your ISP to one of these 2 companies. If you want to keep your internet movements private from everyone, use Tor browser. Its slower and doesn’t do udp, but it is much closer to real privacy than the commercial VPNs. Of course, if you are a high priority target of a large nation state, then Tor might not be enough for you, but for most people it works well for those things you want private. If you just want to watch movies, torrent and stuff like that, regular VPNs are the way to go.

• WithaC@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Proton. It replaced PIA for me when it was introduced. Since I was already paying for Proton mail, there was no reason to keep paying for a separate VPN as well.

• long_duck@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Really? Protonmail doesn’t have a clean track record. They backtracked their TOS, their onion site forwards to the clearnet, and they outed a French climate activist.

• zpm@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Same story, made the switch and now I use the ecosystem except the password manager. It’s a bunch of solid products. Tad Expensive (compared to free like Gmail) but I’m happy.

• WithaC@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’ve been trying out the password manager these past couple weeks to see how it compares to Bitwarden. Overall I’ve been impressed. Auto fill actually seems to be superior on Proton as it works on some sites that Bitwarden never would for me. My only real complaint at the moment is that the iOS app will log out of my account at random and it’s a hassle to log back in since I don’t always have my Proton pw on hand.

• trussrod@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

The answers are always going to be Mullvad, IVPN or Proton VPN. Windscribe is also a possibility.

• Chemical Wonka
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Because I prefer the granular control that I have over my queries when I’m using NextDNS something that I don’t have with Mullvad DNS.

• featured@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I use Mozilla VPN, which is just Mullvad but more expensive. I want to support Mozilla though and enjoy the integration with my multi account containers so i stick with it

• Human Crayon@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

If you were in with Mozilla VPN while it was in beta (for $4.99/month), you can keep that price for life as long as you have an active sub. I got lucky with that one.

• hobs@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I use Moz too. It works pretty well, but I do get a lot of “confirm you are not a bot” messages from Cloudflare, especially when I’m using LibreWolf to anonymize my browser headers (fingerprint).

• KitsuneHaiku@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Don’t use express VPN. They make it very annoying to cancel. I thought I canceled once and it didn’t work.

It takes three confirmations inside a hidden menu.

• FarLine99@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

One of the best options. On par with IVPN and Proton. 😘

• Sabre363@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I tried Proton (the free version), but it didn’t seem as reliable and it just had too much going on. Mullvad is as simple as choosing a location and connecting.

• opt9@feddit.ch
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Cryptostorm is a honeypot that was discovered years ago. I’m surprised anyone even talks about it still

• opt9@feddit.ch
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It was a big controversy years ago. You can take or leave the info. I don’t have the time to look it up.

• kostel_thecreed@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

Douglas Spink was arrested. He was then removed from the team, no longer having access to anything. Df has been the main guy for the past couple years - but that’s cryptostorm becoming a honeypot, in your opinion?

Doesn’t hurt to be overly paranoid, but this is to the extreme.

• opt9@feddit.ch
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

I have nothing invested in proving it one way or another. It is something I saw a few years ago, and thought I’d mention it now to warn others. If you think it went from honeypot to non-honeypot, then by all means use it. At the end of the day, you cannot fully trust any traditional VPN because they can do what ever they want and we’d be none the wiser, despite all the big claims. VPN’s are for watching geoblocked movies and stuff like that. That’s about it. If you want privacy, you’ll have to look into other things.

• kostel_thecreed@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

If you think it went from honeypot to non-honeypot

I don’t think it was ever a honeypot, they contributed a lot to the early VPN communities, following both perfect-privacy and blackvpn.

VPN’s are for watching geoblocked movies and stuff like that. That’s about it.

I do not believe so, but to each their own.

• opt9@feddit.ch
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It was a big scandal some years ago and I don’t have the time to look it up for you. You can take it as you like.

• Agent641@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I pay for proton. I use it on mobile, laptop, and desktop. Its quite seamless and unobtrusive. I like a vpn that allows me to forget im using a VPN

• pathief@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I tried Proton for a month for I’d get A LOT of “confirm you’re not a robot” when entering a lot of websites. Was really annoying. Did you ever get around that?

• Kit Sorens@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

That’s almost always caused by one of your nodes’ IPs being logged doing sketchy stuff. Try picking a different route.

• akilou@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I often do forget I’m on the VPN and I can’t figure out why I can’t chromecast music to my speakers.

• Xero@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’ve been using Proton for half a year, and I’m considering buying the Unlimited plan

• khornechips@yiffit.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Personally, I switched from Mullvad after they dropped support for port forwarding. I’ve found AirVPN is easier to use on that front as well.

• dishpanman@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Port forwarding, got a good deal, reviewed well. It exports Wireguard and OpenVPN files easily, so you are not tied to their Eddie client. I’m happy with it so far.