Australia’s Mona asked a court to reverse its ruling that allowed men inside a women’s only space.

Archived version: https://archive.ph/oHT6U

• state_electrician
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

The amount of people/men who don’t get it is astonishing. Art isn’t just something you can put on a wall. This entire thing with excluding men is an art installation, supposed to generate emotions and a discussion about exclusion and gender disparity. And seeing how many men around the world are frothing at the mouth over an installation at a small museum at the end of the world it is an extremely powerful piece of art. I applaud the museum for this.

• JovialMicrobial@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

There are still places that are men only. Women can’t join the freemasons for example, but you don’t see this sort of extremely angry reaction to that.

And I agree, this art piece is doing exactly what it was supposed to.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

That’d be ideal, but I don’t really see that happening tbh. There’s a women’s version of the freemasons, but it’s not nearly as popular or active as far as I can tell.

• HauntedCupcake@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Do you have any more examples other than the freemasons? I had assumed we were done with needless segregation (excluding bathrooms and such).

The only thing that makes sense in my mind is that male dominated spaces have non-explicit social barriers in place that are being approximated by the explicit barrier the museum has set up.

In the UK there’s golf clubs that have pretty toxic atmospheres and dress codes but aren’t legally allowed to bar women.

Sorry if this is super ignorant, I’m acknowledging the problem I just want to understand it better

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I’m from the US, but here it’s mostly fraternal lodges that still ban women, and certain religious groups(which I don’t think those technically count due to separation of church and state). But the Order of Oddfellows, Fraternal Order of Eagles, Freemasons, and the Botherhood of St Andrew don’t initiate women. Im sure theres more but i dont know about them.
          Granted those have some religious influence, but aren’t churches directly as far as I understand. Also the skull and bones, but they’re very secretive and that could have changed and no one would be the wiser.

I’m not sure about other countries laws, but in the US private institutions are more or less allowed to segregate by gender, but often there’s backlash and they lose money so most won’t go there. That’s why it’s mostly these secretive fraternal orders that still do it.

• fiat_lux@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

small museum at the end of the world

The end of the world is a fair description, but small is not. It is the largest privately funded museum in the Southern Hemisphere and has 6000m² (64583 ft²) of gallery space.

• state_electrician
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Well, the mean age here seems to be over 30, so I’d expect a tad more maturity.

• Schadrach@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

“Maturity”, defined as being willing to accept explicit sex discrimination, so long as said discrimination penalizes men (as men are an acceptable target for discrimination)?

• over_clox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Yeah, well my late father was a painter, and his number one rule was that he didn’t paint stuff to be hidden away. One of his last wishes was to make sure people see his artworks.

It’s up to the people that view his works as to their thoughts and opinions.