It’s a 1991 VW Multivan so it came with a poptop, and a cabinet in the back (so it has a weird L shaped downstairs bed), but no kitchen, just seating for 8 with two backwards facing jump seats.

It is very much 1980s technology (especially the convoluted ignition and injection system that still managed to act like a carburetor on cold starts). Everyone who approaches it at gas stations and parking lots always asks what year it is, then they look confused when it starts with a 9.

• @nillocOP
      link
      English
      512 days ago

Will do, just need to find some without my son and a huge mess in it! We’re still working on getting organized while camping.

• @riodoro1@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    512 days ago

Oh look, mister moneybags. Those things are crazy expensive now thanks to the whole boomers own every inhabitable square meter of this planet thing.

• @riodoro1@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        312 days ago

Oh, Im not trying to take away from how awesome having a car like this is. Just laughing through tears at how expensive they got.

• @nillocOP
          link
          English
          212 days ago

it’s awesome but also a lot of work.

I bought mine after we found out we’d be having a kid in 2017. So much more affordable. It also needed rust repair and all new bushings and rear swing arms and shocks and springs and some other parts (always do new fuel lines).

The prices have eased a lot since 2020-22, $16-20k is decent now for a good body manual transmission. Campers add $4-5k, Syncros (AWD) adds $10-15k. Good Subaru or TDI conversions increase value and usability too. And the oldies all want Automatics, so they cost more too.

I have a problem though, I’ve now bought 2 others for $500 without drivetrains. One is a nice body tintop, the other is a rotten camper top. Gonna attempt a roof swap and poptop conversion. The plan is to Prius swap it, so I can have electric A/C and eventually a bigger plug-in hybrid battery to quietly coast in and out of campgrounds and do more backcountry/remote camping.

• Mr.MofuM
    link
    fedilink
    212 days ago

Thats a pretty neat thing!. Sorta makes me things about Buissnes machines of the early 90s that where more fitting for the 80s tech wise in a weird way

• @nillocOP
      link
      English
      edit-2
      12 days ago

Yeah this was the last model year and you can tell if you take things apart (as I’ve had to as things break).

There are separate “computers” for engine, cruise control, and one just for oil pressure warning. Like they patched on new parts as needed.

Also it has speakers, power windows and power locks all crammed through a gasket meant for just a pair of speaker wires originally (this is all factory too, not a bodge job).

The engine itself is a bit like that too. It’s watercooled, but really similar to a VWbeetle engine from the 60s but with a water jacket wrapped around removable cylinders with exposed pushrod tubes still. They just kept adding more tech to it to keep it passing emissions as time went on 1979-1986-1991 for this design.