• nyan@lemmy.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

And it’s a sad, sad day when the situation in xkcd 908 looks like an improvement over even one of the commercial offerings.

• pop@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

They’re outsourcing many of their workforce abroad. Like Microsoft, I expect more of these “isolated” accidents to happen.

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Company tries to cut costs by outsourcing to another company with lowly paid employees in another country, often India or Pakistan, where the outsourced labour (that all too frequently hasn’t been properly trained in the company’s procedures) often doesn’t share the same first language leading to misunderstandings, made worse by the difference in office hours meaning the teams often can’t communicate with eachother in real time (the timezone factor is a big one IMO).

It’s an issue affecting a lot of tech companies right now, including where I work (HPE). But I guess it must work out as being cheaper despite the issues, otherwise it wouldn’t be happening.

• Dendrologist@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Let the people who installed/created it maintain it or let a bunch of new folk do it, which is likely to work best?

The abroad part isn’t the issue. We’re a global village with the Internet now, after all. It’s the outsourcing part that’s the issue.

• ____@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Interesting point, I am not sure I fully agree.

I work for a company with operations across the world. Education systems that lead to citizens who are deeply literal and have any shred of critical thinking stamped out of them are a real problem with communications.

On the US side, I can and have adapted to communicate effectively with those colleagues, but it’s less about English being their third or fourth language, and more about our tendency to speak colloquially, and their tendency to not do so.

To their credit, if my livelihood was tied to working in a second or third language, I probably would have trouble with non-literal communications in that language as well.

Different systems, different work cultures, etc. make communication difficult.

OTOH, we have no opportunity to get to know each other and/or bond over food. Ribs, and something spicy from them, and a bit of time to chat would go a long way to resolving some of those difficulties.

Now that I think about it, I wonder how we can pull off an intercultural cooking exchange with those colleagues, without sounding like a giant racist when I post it on the internal social site. Seriously could build some bridges.

• shalafi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Better article:

https://www.theregister.com/2024/05/09/unisuper_google_cloud_outage_caused/

They restored from another cloud service. Were I in charge, I’d still be leery of not having that data on my own drives. I have my Windows libraries mapped to my ghetto RAID 0, and those folders are in turn backed to Google. If all else fails, I have a local backup. And this story reminds me, I haven’t installed VEEAM on this new PC…

• kat_angstrom@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Yeah, this has definitely happened before, we just don’t hear about it in the news. I am personally aware of a Canadian non-profit whose Google accounts were nuked with no notice or explanation last year, leading to massive disruptions for 150 staff and even more clients. They never found out why, and had to restore from backups onto a brand new Google business account

• nyan@lemmy.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

had to restore from backups onto a brand new Google business account

Thus proving that they learned nothing from the experience.

• LeTak@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Waiting for the news “Google deleted users account, now they lost access to their passkeys and with that to all other services” It can only be a matter of days until it happens.

• 7rokhym@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Backup was on Azure. I get the sentiment on the cloud, but there is no excuse for this incompetence at Google.

• billwashere@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

“This should not have happened.”

Duh, ya think?

Google Sales Engineer: oh I see you didn’t purchase the “Do not randomly nuke my cloud” option… well there’s the problem.

• markon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

But you can’t trust regular people to have open source ASI, but don’t worry, we won’t fuck it up.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The company accidentally erased the private Google Cloud account of a $125 billion Australian pension fund, UniSuper.

“This is an isolated, ‘one-of-a-kind occurrence’ that has never before occurred with any of Google Cloud’s clients globally,” Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian and UniSuper CEO Peter Chun said in a joint statement obtained by The Guardian May 8.

Google Cloud has identified the events that led to this disruption and taken measures to ensure this does not happen again.”

And nearly half a million companies across the globe use Google Cloud as a “platform-as-a-service,” or client-facing tool, including Volkswagen and Royal Bank of Canada.

The National Security Agency inked a $10 billion deal with Amazon to move its intelligence surveillance data onto the company’s cloud.

And the Pentagon has a $9 billion contract with Microsoft, Google, Oracle, and Amazon for cloud computing services.

The original article contains 272 words, the summary contains 141 words. Saved 48%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• kbin_space_program@kbin.run
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

It has happened before. They just swept it under the rug and blamed the client.

A user was setting up a new laptop and synced an empty folder with google drive, intending to download accounts data to their machine. It bugged and treated the empty folder as the master and began erasing the drive contents.

After two weeks of pestering google, they relented and pulled from their backups they swore they didn’t have and didn’t exist.

• db2@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

19 billion dollars and they can’t do it themselves? They need Amazon and Microsoft?