• Sem@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Automatic AI-powered screen lock for when your phone is snatched. Theft Detection Lock is a powerful new feature that uses Google AI to sense if someone snatches your phone from your hand and tries to run, bike or drive away.

Does it mean, that “Google AI” will running 24/7 in background, measuring how I use my phone, with an access to accelerometers data and location data?

• Scolding0513@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

All of the biggest surveillance tracking was under the guise of anti-theft. Lojack, Intel ME anti theft, etc

“It’s for your own good. trust us, we promise it’s only for good stuff”

• QuazarOmega@lemy.lol
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

How about you let me save the application data for myself and keep it secure on my equipment first, Google? Uff, going through the salvaging process of the data on my near-broken phone is being the most excruciating thing I’ve done recently because they just won’t let you access and save it unless you rely on their cloud… which I might eventually just do, just wished it’d at least be a 100% safe way to get everything, but no, they had to put the decision to be backed up into the applications’ hands ;-;