Is it just me or are many independent search engines down? Duckduckgo, my go to engine, qwant, ecosia, startpage… All down? The only hint I got was on the qwant page…

Edit: it all seems to be related to bing being down. I hope the independent engines will find a way to get really independent…

• frunch@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Well isn’t that great, mr. moneybags

/S

Yes I’m making a stupid joke bc it’s a paid search engine, something i never would have imagined would be a thing. Now I’m going to price it and perhaps finally pull the trigger on an acct there because fuck google, fuck bing, and fuck all these sites being “wrappers” of them. I come from the dial-up days when lycos, webcrawler, altavista, yahoo–hard searches that would separate the men from the boys. Now we just get this “A.I.” bullshit instead and it falls apart under its own weight. Excuse me while i wave my cane at the sun ☀️

Edit: so it turns out you can get 100 free searches on their site here: https://kagi.com/onboarding?p=choose_plan

Otherwise, it’s $5/month for 300 searches, $10/mo for unlimited, and $25/mo for their “ultimate” exclusive experience…whatever that may be. I’m gonna try the freebies and see what happens. I’m still on the fence about paying for search, but I’m really tired of bs coming from these companies leading to things like we’re experiencing today

• themoonisacheese@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I was there too. Do try the freebies and see how you like it, there’s nothing to lose. Personally, that convinced me and I switched to 300 searches, then I got a new job for which I was making lots of searches and outgrew it so now I’m on the unlimited. IMO ultimate is useless unless you really like the vision or something, I just pay for a working product.

• ClassifiedPancake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I hope Apple will finally allow custom search engines because the current workaround when wanting to use Kagi as default in iOS Safari is a shitty user experience (and I’m not blaming Kagi for that)

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Lol wow. It is 2024 and apple still doesn’t give you basic browser v1.0 functionality

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

You’re implying that the first browser was curl? I don’t think people called that a browser. And even if they did, they obviously weren’t using it like we do now.

• ChaoticNeutralCzech@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Obviously not the first but might win a “most basic browser currently maintained” competition if it qualifies (not if HTML rendering is a criterion).

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

I mean, it’s an http client, I’ll give you that, but I don’t see how it could be considered a “browser” since all it handles is the server interaction