• ChocoboRocket@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Reddit is fun croaked for me last week, now I’m all Lemmy!

Unless lemmy crashes, then I lurk reddit signed out with browser.

As the crashes and maintenance here become less frequent and the platform is more reliable I’m ready to leave reddit in the dust entirely

• ChocoboRocket@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I’m clearly not understanding this platform as well as I thought, I should probably watch a video or something!

The memes and boobs are great, but I’d love to get more reliable news and local information, seems like every Canadian one dies or is unpopular (fair enough given the limited user base which is still kind of nice)

And the news + politics seems to crash, but that’s because I’m still using .World …I think?

• duckington@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

The way it works is that there’s not one lemmy site, there’s many different sites, or “instances” that people can host on their own servers—lemmy.world and lemm.ee are two of these. The catch is that they are “federated”, meaning that a user in one instance can see, vote on, comment on, etc posts from another instance. That’s why you can be on lemmy.world and see posts from !memes@lemme.ml. So if lemmy.world goes down it’s as simply as typing in another instance to your address bar :^)

• eestileib@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

However, all the communities hosted on lemmy.world will be inaccessible while it is down. If you really only care to look at one of those at a particular moment, lemmy might as well be down for you.

• WhiskyTangoFoxtrot@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

They’ll still be accessible, since instances store local copies of data from servers that they’re federated. Your interactions with those communities will be invisible to anyone outside your own instance until the instance hosting the community comes back up, though.

• SlopppyEngineer
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It’s more like email than a regular platform. Each insurance is a Lemmy “provider” but from any instance you can reach every other instance. It even used the @server for user names and communities like email. It also means you have a technology@lemmy.world, technology@lemmy.ml, …

• big_slap@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

think of all of this like email, you get data from other providers and interact with people and posts using an “email address”. im oversimplifying it, but that’s how i started to wrap my head around all of this

• Hikiru@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Only reason I use lemmy.world is for community discoverability. Until subscriber counts are federated, it only shows the amount of subs on your instance, and on average the most subs are on lemmy.world. I have a backup alt for when lemmy.world is down

• OtakuAltair@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Discoverability is definitely one of the biggest hurdles in using Lemmy right now.

• Sconrad122@dmv.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Since when is Jerboa the “official Lemmy app”? It’s not even the only FOSS app and I’m not aware of any connection between the Jerboa and Lemmy developers, let alone the various admins of the lemmy communities that Jerboa accesses. Use a different app if Jerboa isn’t working for you

Edit: I was wrong, just looked at github and it looks like there is an affiliation between lemmy developers and Jerboa. But it’s still not the official app of any of the instances, so it’s not like Reddit where the devs and admins are the same entity

• OtakuAltair@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Then don’t use it? Lol

Isn’t the freedom to use whatever app we like a large part of why we’re on Lemmy now?

Sync is amazing. Voyager and Thunder are also great if you only want foss.

• BarrelAgedBoredom@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I went back to reddit out of boredom a couple of days ago while lemmy.world was doing it’s thing. It dawned on me how shitty things have gotten there over the years. It’s more active, sure but the comments sections are full of hot garbage 99% of the time unless you’re in a small community. And the sheer quantity of comments basically guarantees you won’t be seen or responded to unless you appeal to lowest common denominator bs.

The engagement you get here is much higher quality. It isn’t nearly impossible to have a real conversation and get deep about any given topic. I miss my hobby subs and go back every now and then for those but I’m otherwise all in on lemmy

• Pickle_Jr@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I even tried being a good little product and subjected myself to using the official reddit app.

Absolute worst experience with an app I’ve ever had. Honestly couldn’t even use reddit now even if I wanted to.

• CheshireSnake@lemdit.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Same. I went back for r/place and to comment a few more “fuck u/spez” in posts, and it’s hilarious how bad the app still is. Still slow. Videos randomly won’t play. There are even times when all you can do when tapping the video is see a still image of it and can’t even get into the post/thread. They just really don’t give a fuck about the app except as a vehicle for ads. Smh.

• z3k3@lemmy.pt
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I just uninstalled RIF, I was keeping it just because. I tried to open it and nothing loaded, anyway, it has been lemmy only for me since july.

• AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

If you have a Samsung, their OS will remove apps after so long without being used. There’s an option to turn that off, which I do after it cleans out all the Samsung junk that I won’t use.

• HIGHinthehills@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Use Lemmy and third party Reddit app while waiting for third party Reddit app to go dark. Then just use Lemmy

• SternburgExport@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

When the jerboa was crashing right after opening it. That was a better experience than using the official Reddit app. And since 99% of my time on Reddit was spent on mobile devices, I‘m not going back there.

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Oh look it’s this tired meme that was just posted 15 minutes earlier

• Roundcat@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Lemmy: “Use Lemmy”
    Me: Uses Sync or any other non FOSS app
    Lemmy: “No not like that!”

• BarrelAgedBoredom@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Are the lemmy police coming to your house and confiscating your apps? If you hadn’t said anything about using sync, no one here would know or care. People complain and get elitist about everything. I’m sure there’s someone out there who looks down on others for not using the “right” brand of q-tips. Does it matter? No. Will the fact that it doesn’t matter shut the q-tips elitist up? Also no

• Roundcat@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

“LEMMY POLICE, FREEZE! Sir/Ma’am and or otherwise, you are under arrest for the following crimes against lemmy. Use of an unapproved app, 2 counts. Pointing out elitism, 5 counts. Making comparisons between lemmy and reddit, 10 counts. Criminally bad meming, 5 counts. And expecting better of lemmy, 1 count. You have the right to stfu.”