• lemmy_99c4zb3e3@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    18 days ago

Cool. I love GNOME. I hope one day it will be stable like Windows, the Software Center will be working, there will be only a Wayland session, better Flatpak integration (theming, etc.), accent colors, smooth animations, better performance.

• Sentau
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      18 days ago

The animations and performance are already very smooth. In fact I feel the performance is better than what you get with windows and the animations are smoother as well

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        18 days ago

I feel the oposit. Windows, kde, xfce, everything is going faster. App menu and overview opening animation is constanty droping frames and feels lagy.

• Dariusmiles2123@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              18 days ago

Well then I guess it has to be some weird driver issue or something related scaling or whatever.

I also have Gnome installed on my girlfriend MacBook Pro from 2012 (upgraded to 16gb of ram) and everything is fluid.

Or maybe I’m not seeing such small details and you have the curse of seeing them.

• Sentau
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          18 days ago

Hmm. Maybe gnome is not correctly using hardware acceleration in your machine¿? In my experience, gnome is perhaps the smoothest DE though it is heavier in resource usage than XFCE, MATE, etc. It does stutter and drop frames when the system is seeing very heavy resource usage.

Edit : when I am using the powersaver settings given by power-profiles-daemon, gnome does stutter a little. This corresponds to amd-pstate being active with the scaling governor set to powersave and the energy vs performance hint set to save power.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            18 days ago

It is definitely using hardware acceleration. Most of the time it is smoth, but first opening of the app menu after not opening it for a while gives a lag and frame drop. Nonetheless gnome 40 is much faster than 3. But still waiting for more. Everything on the performance settings. If I use power saving it is not smooth at alll.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        14 days ago

Indeed, it is working now, at least on fedora (my current distro). But it was broken a few updates ago. It froze when searchinging, when installing and so on. I tried using it for years on different distributions and it was almost always broken. Best working version I used was on manjaro, but that was 4 years ago, don’t know how now. I also tested it on debian few months. ago and it was garbage. One time I was so frustrated I rated it 1/5 in gnome software. I mostly make updates through terminal, because I do not want to get angry anymore.

• setVeryLoud(true);@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          14 days ago

It was broken almost everywhere a while ago in the way you are describing, it’s now pretty solid, but Canonical seriously screwed it up on 24.04 by breaking its dependencies so almost nothing works. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s broken on Debian too, especially since that’s likely an ancient version by now.