• BaumGeist@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

Hey, I recognize that art! That’s the Pepper & Carrot guy! iirc, that’s a FOS webcomic (CC BY 4.0 license, artwork and transcripts available for each episode). We need more people like him: using FOSS to create FOS media and contributing to the community with write-ups and guides; what a mensch.

I haven’t had many issues with wayland, but there are a few sticking points, and it’s usually when you get into the weeds like this. Wayland is ready for mainstream release because all the software that gets the most use is taken care of already, but when it comes to niche edge-cases, it still has a long ways to go; and it will take a lot longer to “get there” all across the board, given how uncommon it is for the already relatively small amount of people doing the edge-case work to also either have time enough to walk devs through the issues or have enough coding knowledge to contribute to the software directly.

• boredsquirrel@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

Cool stuff.

Yes the degradation from Plasma 5 x11 to Plasma 6 Wayland Graphics tablet options is bad.

Also the stuff where every Desktop does its own thing kinda sucks.

But we will get there.

An alternative would be CentOS Stream, AlmaLinux or RockyLinux, which has the same stability, X11 support aspect.

• nexussapphire@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      21 days ago

Unless you use an Nvidia graphics card. Every little update seems to improve stability and support. I’m on hyprland because plasma 5 had pretty annoying bug they neglected to fix on Nvidia but plasma 6 is starting to look stable so I might switch to it or wait for cosmic. I’m not sure if I could live without tiling and the way virtual desktops work on it now.

I find myself hitting hotkeys that simple aren’t possible on kde. I simply couldn’t use an lts distro with the ever growing gap between the improvements then and where we are at now.

Also x11 sucks and has made my experience miserable Everytime I’ve tried to use it. Anything from horrible screen tearing(from scaling) on Intel integrated to consistent lag and stutter on Nvidia, I’m glad it’s dying.

• boredsquirrel@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

Yeah I also tried CentOS Stream 9 with KDE Plasma (see a recent post of mine). And:

• they messed up the systemsettings order completely in 5.27
        • the tiling is completely broken for some reason too

I havent yet seen any actual backports and fixes. The tiling stuff (Meta + arrows) is known and completely broken.

I like Plasma 6 a lot, it is way more stable than 5, but I am on an all intel coreboot Laptop and I dont use special software.

• nexussapphire@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          21 days ago

And I use arch because it was the first one that worked well on my hardware. Being into software development it’s probably not surprising to say I’m attracted to shiny new technologies.

I love the fact your using Linux for your digital art. It validates the notion I’ve had about potentially using Linux for learning how to create illustrations and potentially small animations. I’ve used tools like gimp for Photoshop like stuff and davinchi resolve (a tool I’ve used) works on Linux. I might pick up a cheap little waycom eventually and see what happens.

It would be fun to have a stream where software I wrote allows people to shout over each other (running completely locally) while I fail at drawing or making more janky code to do useful/silly stuff.

• pastermil@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

As someone who’s been using KDE on Debian since version 9, I wholeheartedly support this!

I just wish they make it default. Yes, I know we can choose it and all, but the noobs wouldn’t know any better than to go with the default. Would be nice to bless them with better experience.