This topic is meant to be a low threshold possibility for all kinds of discussion. It is not meant to keep anybody from creating a new topic, the idea is that it may enable some discussion that would otherwise not happen at all.

• AchtungDrempels@lemmy.worldOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    29 days ago

What do you think, should i keep making these sticky post? Or rather stop? Make a new one next month? After the first few weeks no one seems to use it. I didn’t want to make it a monthly because i thought that the /c/ might just end up consisting of these type of posts, but the season’s there and topics are on an upswing, yay!

I kept on keeping track a bit of the user counts of some cycling communities, they’re also on a “big” upswing:

Date /c/bicycle_touring /c/bikepacking /c/bicycles@lemmy.ca /c/bicycling@lemmy.world
    04.04.2024 201 275 2.76K 1.88K
    20.04.2024 209 279 2.78K 1.9K
    09.05.2024 230 282 2.8K 1.91K
    30.05.2024 260 286 2.86K 1.95K

(I got these numbers from lemmy.world, might look different on other instances)

Oh, is someone maybe intersted in becoming a moderator for this community? Soon i will have been one for a year and i would kinda like to just be a regular user again :)

• plactagonic@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

I think that the regularity of these posts is ok. Also I looked at the other bikepacking community and it looks dead.

I mod c/homebrewing and I don’t post that much there - now it is at about 1post/week, it doesn’t feel dead and has good engagement. So I wouldn’t be afraid to stop posting that much and became more regular user (depends on the bot/troll activity here, on sopuli it is ok).

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        27 days ago

Thanks. There is no bot / troll activity here, all my mod actions have been stickying/ unstickying posts. I will make anothrr quarterly post then next month. I just don’t like having the mod status, haha.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    29 days ago

On another note… After i had posted this ad in the camping community, finally someone ordered some ultralight camp lights. Four are still available.

The ultralight camp lights are all still available btw, although i’ll be only able to send them in july. So nice to have a built in light switch in the tent.

I have been using them for a good bit now and it’s absolutely so nice to have them fixed to your inner tent, ready to be switched on when it’s set up. Order now! (But receive them only towards the end of july ;)

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

I am trying to make a list with relevant links for the sidebar. This is what i have now. Is it too much already? What should go? You got any links to add? Is the sorting crap?

Route planning

Hospitality exchange

Navigation / route planning apps

Diaries / Blogs

Other useful sites

General Bicycle Touring / Bikepacking information and inspiration

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    15 days ago

Oh man what an evening i had yesterday. I started riding the “grand traverse massiv central” mtb route and again did not check tire pressure in a long time. Got a pinch flat, fixed it, then found out there was another hole, fixed that and then broke the sclaverland valve. I am not actually a fan of those, they are a bit too delicate for my taste.

Then i put in a new tube but could not manage to pump it up. Pump was going really heavy, making strange noises. Was getting dark and i just thought fuck it and set up my tent. This morning i took the new tube out, checked for holes and it had two holes. Guess i should have not carried it openly in my toolbag all this time. Fixed the holes and while pumping i fucking finally broke my pump completely. But i got it pumped up two thirds of the way, so i got off the rocky gtmc and am right now taking asphalt road to the next bicycle shop, which was 53 km away, if i did not want to go back in the direction where i came from. Still 35km to go, but it will open only at 16:00 anyway. Guess i’ll do a washing and chilling day then at the camping municipal close to the bike shop. Got lucky really that i managed to pump it up somewhat, otherwise would have been like 20km of pushing my bike over hilly and bumpy terrain back to where i came from.

Asphalt road is also real nice though

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

I am sick again, can’t believe it. Maybe i never really got all healthy, but now i’m pretty sure i have a laryngitis. Yesterday morning i was about to call it a trip and just try to take trains home to chill out. But then decided to stay here, take a room for a few nights and see how it goes.

Gorges de la Jonte

Days before i rode through the fantastic gorges in the cevennes but at some point couldn’t enjoy it anymore and was just struggling to get anywhere because i felt weak. Rode a bow around cevennes out to Nimes and i am staying here right now. The plan was originally to ride mont ventoux then towards the alps, but right now i feel like i need to chill out with cycling too much mountains. Long climbs while breathing through my mouth, i don’t think that will be great for my larynx. I think i will stay two more nights here and try to really relax, then see what to do.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 days ago

Thank you. That is a nice post you added to that topic, i will edit mine to make it better too when i have the head free to do it.

• plactagonic@f.cz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 days ago

@AchtungDrempels I am glad you saw it, my instance went down after I posted it. So now I have to use mastodon (my alt account instance doesn’t federate with world)