• Windex007@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

Yeah when I showed the cop the graph of my speed before getting in my car to be 67000mph (speed of the earth around the sun) to 67080mphwhen I was driving it he couldn’t see the difference so I didn’t get the ticket.

Or sometimes choosing a common-sense reference makes sense.

Which isn’t to say THIS one does, it doesn’t, but the absolutism of “it’s nerf or nothing” is a tad extreme.

• aasatru@kbin.earth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Well, it does make sense, doesn’t it?

What we’re interested in is not the number of users, but the trends: whether the number is increasing or decreasing over time. Starting the axis at 0 would not be useful in this regard, as the trend would be almost completely obscured.

• Windex007@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

If the goal is to visualize growth trends, I don’t think raw user counts are the correct value to track on the Y-axis at all. That’s where my head was at when I said it doesn’t make sense. Abusing the Y-axis to try and coax data out in this case is just a symptom of having the wrong measure.

Daily new users. Percent user growth.

• HobbitFoot @thelemmy.club
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          24 days ago

There is visible growth in posts and comments, which is good. However, I’ve also started seeing spam posts.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

For something like that, you need a special graph, and I forget the name because no one uses it.

Y axis is “percent growth” and the X axis isn’t at the bottom, it’s in the middle.

Like, the only way I can describe it is a line graph because it technically is, but there’s some name done it.

Capitalism doesn’t like it tho, because there’s “red numbers” and red numbers scare investors

• aasatru@kbin.earth
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          24 days ago

At some point recognisability is also worth something. I can immediately read this graph, I understand it, it’s good.

Occasionally it’s used in a confusing way where people assume it starts at zero despite it not being the case, and sometimes intentionally so. But that’s just the case here.