• SuddenDownpour@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

A corporation’s apologies should never be taken seriously. If they consciously break regulations in order to make money, there must be punitive fines, if not prison. Otherwise you’re just creating a system where executives will try and calculate how much bullshit they can get away with.

• Einar@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    24 days ago

What’s the problem with just producing the necessary quality and being honest? Is that too expensive, making the lie more profitable?

• etchinghillside@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    24 days ago

The wide-ranging fraudulent testing at Japan’s top automaker involved the use of inadequate or outdated data in collision tests, and incorrect testing of airbag inflation and rear-seat damage in crashes. Engine power tests were also found to have been falsified.

I was initially going to suspect EPA cheating - how long until it’s determined that was cheated on also?

• tal@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

EPA cheating

The EPA just deals with the US.

From the article, it sounds like this is only related to certification in Japan:

A Japanese government investigation into Toyota began in January. The issue does not affect Toyota’s overseas production.

I believe that normally, getting certification in one market isn’t directly tied to getting it another (that is, being certified in the US isn’t equivalent to being certified in the EU isn’t equivalent to being certified in Japan). They’ve got different (and sometimes conflicting) requirements, for that matter.

EDIT: Yeah, it’s Japan’s certification system:

https://www.breakinglatest.news/business/five-japanese-automobile-corporations-uncovered-in-fraud-with-toyota-mazda-and-honda-executives-bowing-out-wall-street-news/

This incident has raised considerations in regards to the affect on Japan’s certification system and the status of Japanese corporations.

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

“Toyota Motor Corp., based in Toyota city, central Japan, suspended production in the country of the Corolla Fielder, Corolla Axio and Yaris Cross. The deceptive tests were also found on discontinued models.”

• jpreston2005@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

Also Monday, Toyota’s Japanese rival Mazda Motor Corp. reported similar irregular certification testing, and halted production of two models, the Roadster and Mazda 2. It said incorrect engine control software was used in the tests.

Mazda, based in the southwestern city of Hiroshima, also acknowledged violations on crash tests on three discontinued models. None of the violations affect the vehicles’ safety.

Tokyo-based Honda Motor Co. also apologized Monday for improper tests, such as those on noise levels and torque, on a range of models. Honda said affected older models — the Accord, Odyssey and Fit — are no longer in production. The safety of the vehicles is not affected, it said.

Dang, did they all coordinate beforehand? When all of your countries top automakers all admit to wrongdoing on the same day… well I can’t think of punchline to this obvious set-up right now but I’ll come back to it

• Mrs_deWinter@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

And to think I bought a Japanese car specifically because of Dieselgate… well.

They’re all corrupt, aren’t they?