I saw this asked on another instance, thought I’d ask it here and I’ll post my response from there in the comments as I think it felt cathartic.

Doesn’t need to be a life or death situation, just any moment in your life where you found yourself saying “Holy shit, I can’t believe this is happening!”

• BonesOfTheMoon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 days ago

The neighbours raised a fledgling starling that lost its mother. When it was big enough it decided the whole world was his best friend and would socialize quite a lot with us. I have a million pictures of him on our heads or shoulders or yelling at us through the kitchen window to come outside and find him some bugs.

Anyway he was absolutely in love with car rides. Yes, a wild bird liked a road trip. The guy who was feeding him used to bring him to work every morning to feed him routinely so he got very used to the car, and he LOVED it. So when we got home from work he’d sit on the roof of the car and yell until we came outside and took him for a ride somewhere. I had many car rides around the neighborhood that summer while he sat on my shoulder and yelled gleefully in my ear.

• dependencyinjectionOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

Dude that’s the sickest(as in best) thing I’ve ever read and I’m not gonna lie I was kinda expecting a terrible turn at the end.

Would love to see some pictures this starling, or videos. It’s on my bucket list to make friends with a bird, particularly crows, and you literally had that. Not only that, the dude loved road trips… like what.

Sorry about his mum though.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

Here he is sitting happily on my head. He would sit up there and cheerfully root through my hair looking for bugs, or when I walked the dogs he’d sit up there and yell at everyone we walked past. I will upload a video of him when I get home and am on wifi a little later.

• dependencyinjectionOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          22 days ago

I can’t cope. I’m sooo jealous right now. Look how fluffy he is.

One day I too hope to take a walk with a bird on my head as it shouts at people.

I will look forward to a video of the little fella. It’s evening here now so I’m going to be offline for 8-10 hours.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            22 days ago

The funniest part was how distinctive his voice was. You know when a bunch of birds are chirping in a tree? I could pick him out from inside the house calling for me to come get him in a single chirp. He also obviously a great sense of humor, and when he’d stick his face in the kitchen window to tell me to come get him, his face would be like 😁!!! It really was funny.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

Me neither! The force of his personality was absolutely unreal. For such a small creature he was extremely happy and demanding and humourous.