• KidnappedByKitties@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    21 days ago

Tl;dr:

Bathtubs started small due to size constraints of rooms, but got smaller because it’s cheaper to manufacture and handle smaller tubs.

#savedyouaclick

• EmoDuck@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

I bought a foldable bathtub some time ago and it is SO MUCH better than what I was used to

You have to kinda sit in it but it means that you can submerge your whole body without your legs constantly floating up. It fits in my shower and can be stored away when I don’t use it

• fiercekitten@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

just after World War II, Crane—a major producer of bathtubs—reported that 75 percent of their business was in 5-foot tubs, as smaller tubs are cheaper and therefore more appealing to landlords.

Ooh I can blame the landlords?

• Eheran@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    21 days ago

It makes a ton of sense to make them as small as possible, given how much water it takes to fill them up. Unlike in Japan, we hardly use that water, while they leave them filled and keep using it.

Imagine always filling a pool just because you want to refresh for 30 minutes and then dumping all that water.

• IsThisAnAI@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      21 days ago

Westerners don’t typically bathe every day, they shower. It’s more of a relaxation occasion here. It doesn’t make sense to keep it filled.

• tigeruppercut@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

Japanese home baths are almost always right next to a shower, and you take a shower before getting in the bathtub to soak. Because you’re clean before using the tub, a family will leave it full until everyone has had a bath. They still empty the tub after everyone has used it though-- it’s not like they keep the same water for days on end.

It’s a similar concept at bathhouses, where everyone gets in the same baths after showering.

• volvoxvsmarla @lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          21 days ago

Woah we used to do that when I was a kid, my dad would bathe after me. I thought we were just poor but now I guess we were just Japanese

• XeroxCool@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            21 days ago

With that phrasing, I don’t know if you’re confirming your nationality or just discovering it. I’m excited for you either way

• volvoxvsmarla @lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              20 days ago

That’s very nice of you. But I wasn’t really serious, according to myheritage.com.I am 1% Japanese. If it counts, half of my family comes from an island north of Japan o_o

• Drusas@kbin.run
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          21 days ago

They also have covers for the bathtubs to help keep the water warm while no one is in it. At least, the old style rectangular ones do.

• brb@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          21 days ago

I thought taking shower before bath was universal thing. Who are these nasty people that bathe in their own filth?

• Classy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

I remember staying at this wonderful couple’s BnB in Northern Michigan and they had a claw-foot standing bathtub, that thing was incredible. So spacious

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

At the Insight Meditation Center in Barre, MA they have an enormous claw tub. I was able to straighten my entire body inside it, and he completely underwater.

• brygphilomena@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

One of the big complaints in have of my house. The tub is stupidly tiny. All I want to do is soak in hot water.

I also hate the lack of any insulation around a tub so the water gets cold super fast.

• tiredofsametab@kbin.run
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

relaxes Japensely

I love the bigger tubs here, though the older style were deep rather than long which I find less relaxing.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    20 days ago

Same with hot tubs. I prefer the old fashioned wooden ones simply because they were deeper. Modern hot tubs put way too much effort into various seating arrangements, none of which gets you under much water and none of which I find comfortable

• Swarfega@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

I redid my bathroom in my old house and put a larger bathtub in. The issue is it requires a lot more water to fill. Great having much more leg room but it just uses so much water. I ended up using it less due to costs.