• CrabAndBroom@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

I keep an extensive, unorganised mass of random notes and thoughts in Obsidian, and also a separate extensive unorganised pile of notes and thoughts in a paper notebook, thus ensuring I don’t know where anything is and rendering the whole process futile.

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

Physically writing things helps encode it in my brain, but in all other ways digital records are superior.

Kinda want one of those smart pens.

• Addv4@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

Sadly, Apple is far and away the best for that. Plus notability allows for digital recording too. Helped me a ton through school.

• M500@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

I think he means an actual one that makes a digital copy of what you write on paper.

• ClassifiedPancake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

I’m all digital. Don’t have to worry about where my notebook is, my tasks and calendar are available through my phone, tablet, computer. And I get reminded on time sensitive things. I can make templates for repeating tasks like my vacation checklist. I’m reminded on birthdays that are coming up so I have time for presents. I never feel like I’m forgetting anything. It’s perfect for how my brain works.

• kobra@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

This has been my experience as well. I went through a few years of taking and enjoying paper notes, but at a certain point I realized that without the ability to search my notes, I’m not getting as much value as I could otherwise. That with the addition of digital being more conveniently always with me has led me there.

That being said, there are so many options with apps and systems for digital management that the simplicity of just grabbing a piece of paper and writing still sounds enticing sometimes, haha.

• TheButtonJustSpins@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

I’ve finally moved from using paper to using multiple files and services in different places to help me not get anything done.

• brokenlcd@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

Tasks are one of the few things i still do on paper, to me it’s like reading a book; ya just cant beat the feeling of paper; also you can’t just close the app; it will remain hanged on the wall, judging you from afar

• ℕ𝕖𝕞𝕠@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

I’d prefer a somewhat “smart” app that could highlight the next most important task from a list.

But what actually works best for me is a bullet journal.

• NJSpradlin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

I use digital notes, reminder checklists, and calendar with my partner, since those are shareable across our devices.

But, for work I use a small notebook where I write down every tasks to-do or completed, and the supporting tasks under that. I write the tasks in black, and X the check blocks I make for the tasks/subtasks in red. Any ticket numbers or additional notes (dates, etc) that come up are also written in red, so that they stand out more easily for review later.

For work related appointments or dates, I use outlook calendar.

• weeeeum@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

Writing. It slows you down so you have to think about the task. Plus it’s so much more satisfying to cross something out than mashing delete. Plus checking your paper lists won’t tempt you with distractions.

• neidu2@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 days ago

Both.

Checklists are on my phone, as it automatically hides checked items, making the remaining items easier to see.

Procedural lists, such as a task list with items that have to be done in order often go on paper, such as when I’m traveling: each line has flight number, time, from-to, and booking references.

Calendars go on both, as loads of household planning has to take my work schedule into account. The consolidated one that contains everything that has been finalized so far hangs in the kitchen, while the things that are subject to change as on phones/laptops

• oxjox@lemmy.ml
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

I generally put short term things on index cards and long term things on digital. Or I just note something down with whatever’s most accessible at the time.

So, for work, I have a long list of tasks in Microsoft Planner I should get done in the mid-term and long-term. If someone asks me to get something done asap, I put that on paper. I’m really bad at getting things done on the digital list but I’m trying to get better at it.

Chores and groceries go on the white board on my fridge. Then I transcribe them to index cards if I need to remember them out of the house.

I try to keep a pad with me when I’m out of the house to note things down. I use a tiny little Fisher Space Pen which easily fits in my pocket.

My problem with digital is that it’s too easy to forget about. When I mark things down on paper, specifically index cards, they start to stack up and I feel motivated to reduce the clutter they create. Throwing out ten index cards because I got shit done feels good.

• QuarterSwede@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

My problem with digital is that it’s too easy to forget about. When I mark things down on paper, specifically index cards, they start to stack up and I feel motivated to reduce the clutter they create. Throwing out ten index cards because I got shit done feels good.

This is exactly how I feel.

• Che Banana@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

Paper, simply because out of sight out of mind.

I do a grid, Top left due today

top right running list of additional things

bottom left shit thats due but not urgent

bottom right long term projects, stuff in progress that takes time

Brain is dumb so as i write out the list i cross stuff off, even if I just did it (train your brain to get that delicious sense of accomplishment)

If I have, say, a binder with cover that doesn’t work…needs to be visible. Brain is dumb.

• moreeni@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

I’m so sorry to hear that. This is a fear of mine and the reason I always stop myself from writing any personal notes on paper. If not abuse, someobody is ought to tease me for it.

• skozzii@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

I use “second brain” system with obsidian for most notes. I use Microsoft to-do for quick to-do’s, but want to find a non-Microsoft replacement.

• midimalist@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

Hey, I’m also in the process of finding an alternative for Microsoft to-do. I did some quick research for some replacement and tasks.org looks really promising if not for the lack of desktop version.

• midimalist@lemdro.id
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 days ago

Will check it out soon, thanks. I’ve also heard of of Nextcloud but I just haven’t had the chance to try it yet.

• reillypascal@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

If it’s a bigger scale task that I’m gonna need a long time to accomplish, I do it on my computer. For daily stuff, I have a bullet journal and fountain pens that I really like