Hi thank you for helping me with my last issue (Sunlight remote desktop). Now I have encountered another issue VPN. I’d like to use Hamachi to play remotely with a friend (he’ll be using Moonlight to connect to my Linux PC) the problem is that he’s using a M1 Mac and Hamachi is not working on those. Maybe you guys have a better and open source alternative for Hamachi that’s also “easy” to setup and connect to.

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

I’ve used Hamachi for going on 20 years. Tailscale is the closest I’ve come for ease of use/setup.

It’s almost as easy as Hamachi.

• Scio@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 days ago

ZeroTier pros:

• Exit nodes don’t break if I lose wifi for a moment
        • Works with custom DNS setups out of the box
        • Allow-LAN actually works on Android, rather, is the default
        • No member limits for free
        • No need to disown devices and putting them into tags to be able to set SSH ACLs
        • Works out of the box with other overlay networks and VPNs

ZeroTier cons:

• No freemium tunneling feature
        • No convenient browser-based SSH that only admins can use for some reason
        • Not nearly as sexy

Candles are punching above their weight these days, it seems

• umami_wasabi@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 days ago

On features ZeroTier > Tailscale, but the existance of headscale and ionscale brings me back all because ZeroTierOne is BSL, aka not FOSS.

• Scio@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 days ago

Yeah, that’s a pretty huge con honestly.

My sheer frustration with all this tiny to grievous papercuts with Tailscale years on got the best of me— Even the Android Magic DNS bug only got fixed last month. But hey, I’m still using it, instead of ZeroTier so that’s something :D

• just_another_person@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 days ago

Any open VPN protocol that MacOS supports will work. I’d actually say, you’re better off not using something like Hamachi. Keep in mind, allowing your friend direct VPN access to your network without any extra rules will allow them full access to everything on your network, so make sure you only allow traffic to things you want them to access.

Check if your router already has a VPN Server you can enable and let your friend connect to and set it up (easiest option). If not, just run the VPN server on your machine, and forward the port from your router to your machine.

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

Hamachi only does direct machine-to-machine connects, it doesn’t provide Subnet routing.

• Jesus_666@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

You could try Tinc but it’s fairly involved to get running. Pretty nice if you have a root server and want to get several people wired up, though. There are probably easier solutions for your use case.

• funkajunk@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

Tinc is terrible

It’s awful to setup, and hasn’t been updated in years. Anything Wireguard, or Wireguard-based will be lightyears better.

• Jesus_666@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 days ago

Good to know. We initially set that network up well over a decade ago so my knowledge isn’t exactly current.