• SomeLemmyUser
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    12 days ago

There is a difference between a general scare about the AI buzzword and legitimate distrust in online services which are closely connected to american spying institutions (regardless if they are ai or not)

If my calories tracker app would apoint a (former) NSA official on their board, I would be looking for alternatives too. This is not about AI, this is about a company with huge sets of private data being closely interconnected with american spy institutions.

Sad that you don’t seem to be able to distinguished between legitimate security questions and badly informed hypes/scares ass soon as a buzzword like AI occurs

• SomeLemmyUser
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        12 days ago

I did read this part, and while this is generally true, there are use cases of such large models. Some of them require the input of personal data (find bugs in my code, formalize this email, scan this picture for text and translate it, draw an anime version of this picture of my friend tom)

So people being weary of security implications of such large models are certainly not

in a huge circle jerk that never ends, but refuses to understand how it all works.

Sure you can just call them all dumb using ai like the mainstream (putting in personal data) and attribute it to an unwillingness to understand, but this doesn’t match the reality. Most people don’t even understand how an operating system functions, which components work online and which offline and who can access which of their information, let alone know how “AI” works and what the security implications are.

So If people ask those questions, hoping there are alternatives they can use safely your answer “no, u just dumb, machine can’t harm you, its not magic, just don’t put in data in”

Is not only rude but also missing the point. Most usefull/fun/mainstream ways DO in fact, put in data.

You explaining basic models also doesn’t help, as the concern here is not mainly/only the model, but american spy institution to access all prompts you did put in, maybe categorizing you in personality clusters dependent on your usage of language or assigning tags on which political stance a users has (and with entities like the NSA I could imagine far worse)

Also “A model is a model” Is not very accurate in such cases. When someone has control and secrecy over each aspect of the model, it would be very well possible for entities like the NSA to manipulate the content the models puts out in arbitrary directions. A government controlling and manipulating information the public receives is a red flag for a lot of people (rightfully so IMHO)

How are people supposed to get better in digital privacy topics if you just tell them to shut up and insult them when they aks questions trying to learn? You acting like you are in your Elfenbeinturm of genius isn’t helping anyone.

• just_another_person@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          12 days ago

I’m not calling anybody dumb. I’m saying they’re being willfully ignorant and assuming this is all brand new tech that is mysterious, rather than learning about how it works.

A lot of people are hyped by the “Hype & PR” machine right now instead of being (appropriately IMHO) suspicious and using critical thinking.

• SomeLemmyUser
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            12 days ago

Your comment certainly feels like you look/kick down on people instead of giving them a helping hand getting up.

With your attitude you are driving away people who want to do exactly what you want of them: educating theirselfs.

You are being contra productive to your own demands is what I’m saying

• just_another_person@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              12 days ago

Not sure I should take a lot of interest in the thoughts of someone on the Internet trying to act socially or intellectually superior, but using the word “theirselfs”, which is not a word.

I am definitely “Contra productive” though. I can beat it on a single life with no Konami codes 🫰

• SomeLemmyUser
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                12 days ago

If your argumentation results to shaming people for not being native English speakers I think everything is said here.