MacBook Air owner?

2018/2019 models are losing #Apple support.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/06/the-case-for-and-against-macos-15-sequoia-being-the-final-release-for-intel-macs/

#OptGreen with #GNU/#Linux to keep your device in use! These machines will run beautifully for many years to come.

Not only wallet friendly, #upcycling keeps CO2 emissions out of the atmosphere. Ca. 75% of Apple’s emissions comes from production alone (details in alt text).

Sustainable, independent #FreeSoftware: Better for users, best for the #environment.

@kde

#KDE #KDEEco #FOSS #OpenSource #MacBook

• GravitySpoiled@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 days ago

5 year old computers are end of life? What is wrong with apple. I’m glad I only bought one iphone and moved back to android afterwards

• manualoverride@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 days ago

I may be completely wrong but don’t Samsung, Google etc. stop supporting OS updates on Android phones after 5-6 years? Apple have supported devices for 6-8 years AFAIK.

• mox@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 days ago

On the other hand, I can put an open OS on my Android and get security updates long after the manufacturer has abandoned it. Can’t do that with an iPhone. (But honestly, few Android devices make it easy, and none that I know of allow every little part of the system to be supported this way.)

It’s about time we started legally requiring manufacturers to unlock our hardware when support ends, and release the driver specs ahead of time, so the open software community can take over support. The unending accumulation of e-waste due to nothing more than abandoned software is unforgivable.

This goes hand-in-hand with the right to repair.

• Grimpen@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 days ago

100% agree. You’re not selling the hardware anymore, leave it in an unlocked state. Same with games.

• manualoverride@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 days ago

That would be nice for iPhone, I’ve got a perfectly fine iPX that I’m only going to upgrade because my banking apps are going to drop support for iOS 16 soon

• NotMyOldRedditName@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 days ago

You can format the Mac and put Linux on it and get updates forever as well.

Edit: or you could when it was x86… not sure where Mx stand on that.

• Brahms@chaos.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

@mox @manualoverride while I absolutely agree with your position, also keep in mind that this has security implications.

Beside the fact that most vendors dont even use all the patches available from AOSP, no custom ROM project can backport all patches. Sooner or later this means there are devices that cant be securely used anymore, unless someone does the effort.

a vendor concept with a subscription could solve this I guess or enough support for an open project e.g. @GrapheneOS

• GrapheneOS@grapheneos.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 days ago

@brahms @mox @manualoverride

OEM support for the device is needed because an alternate OS cannot provide firmware updates otherwise. In practice, driver updates also come from the OEM. Providing the Android Open Source Project backports is nowhere close to full security patches. It’s unfortunate that most alternate operating systems mislead users about this by setting an inaccurate Android security patch level field, not being honest about what’s missing and downplaying the importance of it.

• mox@lemmy.sdf.org
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 days ago

OEM support for the device is needed because an alternate OS cannot provide firmware updates otherwise.

Firmware and drivers can be made open, just as other software can be made open. It’s really just a matter of incentives. In my experience, law tends to be a pretty effective incentive.

If the bill of materials included the legal requirements discussed here, then a component supplier would either start producing open firmware/specs, or they would lose that market to another supplier.

Obviously, Android would not be the only project/product affected by such a legal change.

• Carnelian@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 days ago

Yeah this same conversation happens every time one of these headlines comes up and gets misinterpreted. The conclusion is usually that apple has longer than average hardware support across the board

• cm0002@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 days ago

It’s worthless when you can’t upgrade a damn thing, it’s frankly unacceptable to produce a laptop with soldered RAM and a soldered SSD (with no expansion options)

Apple claims it’s for speed and performance, which is technically true, but you’re not going to notice that 10% difference between a good quality NVMe and some speedy DDR5 RAM

But you will notice when you try to save some money on base RAM and base storage and then realize, you can’t upgrade shit a year or 2 later and your only option is to drop another couple grand for a whole new device

Fuck Apple.

• mox@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 days ago

and your only option is to drop another couple grand for a whole new device

…and send another whole system into the waste stream. It’s incredibly irresponsible.

• rImITywR@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 days ago

“Not as shit as you could be” is not something we should be praising. A handful of years is still too short, just because it is marginally better than their competitors doesn’t mean we should give Apple a pass. It just means that the industry is full of shitty companies that profit off of producing e-waste, and know that consumers have no real choice but to put up with it.

• wreckedcarzz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 days ago

G and S are doing 7y now, G has for almost 2y. Pixel 6 has 5y, while 7 + 8 + beyond get 7y, I believe.

• KDE Eco@floss.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

@GravitySpoiled They may provide security updates for a couple of more years, but as the article points out, Intel Macs in the Apple Silicon era are on their way out.

• Cort@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 days ago

Yep, if it’s anything like the ppc to x86 transition there will be security updates for a year or two before they drop support entirely.

• mick@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

Not that big of an issue. Although Intel-based Macs won’t get software updates, they will be fine for many more years. My 2013 iMac is still going strong on its last os update back in 2019.