I’m asking because, i’m thinking about doing a little part time job as a pizza maker on one day of the week because 1. i FRICKIN LOVE PIZZA and 2. i need to do something physically demanding as an contra to my office job which is only mentally exhausting. Just doin workouts at the gym would be an option yes, but getting the same result through doing something would be way better. Thanks for every shared experience!

• Poppenlockenheimmer@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

I’ve spent 20 years in various kitchens, pizza included, and in my experience while kitchen work is very tiring it’s not very good exercise. In a well designed kitchen you will mostly be moving back and forth in a small, maybe 5 square foot, area bending over, squatting down, standing back up, and reaching a lot. Don’t get me wrong, it is very active work, but it’s not likely to make you much stronger or improve your cardiovascular health or conditioning much.

There’s something else to consider as well. Relative to the misery, kitchen work pays very, very poorly. As a result kitchens are largely populated by those either unable or unwilling to find better paying and less demanding jobs or by those who are deeply passionate about the work. Neither of these types make terribly good workmates to a casual interloper and it would be wise to keep in mind that those around you are living out a tough life. One they mat find deeply rewarding, but tough nonetheless.

There are, however, as many types of kitchens as there are types of people, so you may find a place that fits with what you want to get out of it, it just might be a longer than average search. Good luck, though.

• lesnout27@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

Also a very good point, i also thought about but couldn’t word as good as you just did. Thanks!

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 days ago

I’ve seen enough cartoons to know that you need strong lungs to sing baritone Italian operas whilst tossing the pizza dough into the air.

• qooqie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 days ago

I was a pizza chef for a bit. To answer your question, yes it is. The pizza oven heats the kitchen a lot and if you’re not busy you can get away from it for a bit, but when it’s busy good luck. I would drink about a liter of water per shift and wouldn’t need bathroom breaks because of how much I was sweating. The dough can be rough to work if you have a newbie making it. Other than that it’s mostly just the heat that is fucked and if you have a cheapskate owner who doesn’t buy good ventilation or AC oof

• Papergeist@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 days ago

I’ve been a chef for 15 years. This job is BOTH physically and mentally exhausting. Not to mention the rampant drug and alcohol addictions.

If you really wanna do this, go for it. I suggest you try to find the ritziest place in the area. Pizza places are where I would go for a new plug in a new city.

Oh, and you aren’t gonna get paid.

• lesnout27@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

Well i think there is no other option than making own experiences. Thanks for your answer!

• Che Banana@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 days ago

Any kitchen work demands muscles you never even knew existed.

Your legs will hate you, but get some good, proper shoes with insoles.

Your back will hate you, try and find a place that has kitchen mats, instead of bare floor.

Your arms will hate you, and they will just have to get used to it…

The thing is, you’ll work steadily and THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN EVERYONE HAS AN ORDER NOOOOOOWWWWW and you run yer nuts off, and finish & go home, genrally buzzing from the adrenaline, which is why so many cooks, chefs and staff drink excessively…to shut down the noise…so be wary of that

Your body will adapt, go have fun.

• Ageroth@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

Shock absorption/dampening with every step. Most kitchen floors are going to be concrete so every step has no give and the shock of the impact has no where to go but into your joints and bones.

Imagine banging your head against a brick wall over and over. Shoes are like wearing a helmet, the pads are a pillow against the wall.

• boogetyboo@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 days ago

It’s not the same thing but the comparative lameness of it is kinda the point. I have a home office, carpeted. I bought a desk that can be used to stand because I sit way too much and it gives me back problems.

My feet started to really hurt because I was standing so much. In comfortable shoes (corrective ones that I need), on carpet.

I bought a ‘fatigue mat’ and now I stand all day without noticing any pain. Just about an inch of rubbery foam stuff has made a huge difference.

So I can imagine that someone working far longer shifts than I do, on likely cement floors would massively benefit from matting.

• Che Banana@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

The mat (along with) good shoes and insoles cushion impact on your legs/back. It also creates a non slip area that is important if you’re working with oil (hot or cold).

If you have several mats running along a line it’s customary to take plastic wrap and tie the ends so they all are one piece and don’t scootch away from each other during the shift.

#protip

• LemmyHead@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 days ago

Sounds like a good plan, since you’re not financially dependent on it, Why not try it? Alternatively, what about working at a bar?

• lesnout27@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

I worked at a small bar before, that wasn’t for me. But first of all it can be be different elsewhere, and second yes something like that was the plan, you’re right, why not try it

• LemmyHead@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

The thing with a pizzeria is that I expect that you’ll just be standing statically a lot. Working at a bar, as a waiter will give you the opportunity to walk a lot. As a barman to talk to people and move more than when you’d just be making pizzas in the kitchen

• HurkieDrubman@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 days ago

I wouldn’t think so but a lot of people made fun of riker for the way he used that pizza paddle in Star Trek Picard.

• Pandemanium@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

I doubt any place will hire you for only one day a week. That will not be helpful for them.

• XNX@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

Yes, lots of heat from the ovens dehydrating you. Always standing and moving around. Risk of intense burns from the super hot oven, lots of drug usage in the restaurant business. if you or the waiter mess up an order customers have to wait 15-25 more minutes which means less tips.