• Mossy Feathers (They/Them)@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

The 6-3 ruling penned by Trump appointee Amy Coney Barrett in Department of State v. Muñoz held that a citizen has no “fundamental liberty interest in her noncitizen spouse being admitted to the country,” denying a couple’s plea after a U.S. citizen’s husband was denied a visa.

Hold the fuck up, I thought visas were basically guaranteed to those married to US citizens. This seems like a pretty big deal, so why haven’t I heard more about it?

• funkless_eck@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 days ago

As someone who emigrated to marry an American - this judgement is in line with my experience. The process was long, difficult, often in jeopardy (I almost couldn’t get on the plane because in the week before I left for the US they were quibbling whether my use of antidepressants for a year which ended 6 years prior counted as disqualification criteria on public health grounds).

Then, the visa is strictly, only to fly to the US and get married, it doesn’t cover staying in the US or working in the US, those are separate processes.

I emigrated in my early 30s as a white, professional male born and raised in England.

• That’s fucking dumb. How long ago was that? The antidepressants thing is particularly upsetting. We shouldn’t be turning people away if they’ve ever been on antidepressants (or are currently on antidepressants); I mean, it’s not like we get free government healthcare or anything. I’m sorry you had to deal with that. That sucks.

• funkless_eck@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 days ago

Started immigration paperwork in nov 2016, final move date April 2018, got green card Dec 2018.

It is dumb, but also I see that the line of doctors, lawyers, officials, bureaucrats all have a job to do and so are probably just trying to do something, in a job that likely has a lot of pressure to find reasons to turn down applications - both from internal factors and societal.

• protist@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 days ago

You haven’t heard more about it because it was released just a few hours ago. They saved this one for Friday evening.

• sp3tr4l@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

The Republicans are also quite keen to end birthright citizenship, ie, if you are born on US territory, you are a citizen.

I guess they’ll be attempting to make it so you have to born on the territory to … probably two, not one, existing citizens.

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 days ago

Current archaeology has identified not one but two previous periods where humans lived in present-day America before the current ‘first’ nations. The last group, immediately before the current one, died suddenly and with tool marks showing on the long bones.

• jumjummy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          4 days ago

Unfortunately this also allows for wealthy people to participate in “birth tourism”. So many wealthy couples from China come to the US when pregnant just to have a child born in the states. I’m sure this is prevalent from many other countries as well, but I’ve seen first hand these couples from China.

No other country allows for such an easy path to citizenship.

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 days ago

I’m sure this is precedent from many other countries

A section of a hospital in Canada was declared British soil (again) so that when a princess was born she was in England.

So we’ve had the reverse.

• nilloc
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            4 days ago

So if those kids move back to China after getting US birth certificates and social security numbers, do they then pay US income taxes for the rest of their lives?

Are there any hard numbers on this practice?

• Mossy Feathers (They/Them)@pawb.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              4 days ago

I’d assume they’d be required to pay taxes once they’re old enough to, but I’d be willing to bet that most of them don’t unless they plan to ever actually move to the US.

I wonder how often the IRS actually goes after American citizens who don’t live in the US, especially ones that haven’t traveled to the US in more than 5+ years.

Edit: they might also be completely unaware that they need to pay taxes. If I’m not mistaken, the US is literally the only country in the world that requires you to pay taxes when living abroad. Logically speaking, it makes sense that you wouldn’t have to pay taxes to a country you don’t live in.

• BigMacHole@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 days ago

Jesus would NEVER want a White person and a MINORITY living together! Thank you for standing up for JESUS Amy Coney Barrett!

• anticolonialist@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 days ago

And when SCOTUS strikes down Obergefell and/or Loving we can see how bad Biden and Co fucked us with the Respect For Marriage Act.

• jeffw@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 days ago

Yes, let’s see how bad they screwed us with… codifying gay marriage into our laws??

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 days ago

By making it a states rights issue where individual states can refuse to issue licenses if the clerk doesn’t want to

• BrianTheeBiscuiteer@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 days ago

What are you talking about?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respect_for_Marriage_Act

… signed into law by President Joe Biden. It repeals the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), requires the U.S. federal government and all U.S. states and territories (though not tribes) to recognize the validity of same-sex and interracial civil marriages in the United States…

It stopped short of requiring any and all states to perform same-sex marriage but it was a definite improvement over existing law. As always I’m sure they held back on a full guarantee of a right to marriage because a handful of “moderate” Democrats refused to support it otherwise. I hope history records Manchin and Sinema as doing measurable harm to our country.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 days ago

I’m not defending anyone, I’m calling out the bullshit law that’s in place. It’s the law itself that will allow discrimination when SCOTUS strikes down Obergefell. Fucking Democrats did that to us.

• Todd Bonzalez@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 days ago

This is 100% not true, and people have already shown you sources proving it yesterday. I know you hate losing a reason to hate liberals, but you’re just gonna have to accept that you were wrong about this one, kiddo. Either grow up, or leave this to the adults.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                4 days ago

Im not losing to reason, Im battling cult of personality bias.

Has there ever been a single person that democrats disagree with they didnt try to infantilize, or is the narcissism too deep?