• cm0002@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

Fuck Taxis and Uber

An entire industry that’s playing the victim. Stop falling for it and stop romanticizing taxis, the shit they pulled was just as bad, if not worse than what Uber does.

Biggest difference is their drivers were complicit in the shenanigans and primarily targeted their customers. Taking LONG routes because their customer “wasn’t local”, saying a route will “probably be 10$” and then it’s 50 and “the meter says what it says man”.

They literally used strict regulations as a shield to hold local monopolies for decades which resulted in terrible downright scammy service, cash only for an unacceptable amount of time, 0 innovations, dirty ancient barely running cars, a dispatch who would constantly say a car “was just around the corner” for 2 hours

The taxi industry doesn’t give a fuck about you, they’re just mad because they didn’t think to do what Uber is doing and now they’re dying. When/If Uber/Lyft dies, I guarantee the Taxi industry will resurge for the worst and take pages out of Ubers playbook. It’s just going to go back to the wait it was before.

Fuck Uber AND Taxis, they both can rot in hell, but I don’t mind seeing taxis get there first.

• Katzastrophe@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 days ago

Dude, my driving instructor charged less than a Taxi and that guy was charging in the triple digits per hour, it is insane as to how Taxis are still in business. Who the hell pays those prices?

• Kiosade@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 days ago

I don’t know but probably the same people that use the Uber Eats type services. Seriously, how are people affording to pay $25 for a $10 meal?

• chiliedogg@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 days ago

The ndo Uber Eats a few times a week at work. It’s 100% about the time required to do anything else.

The average new house in the city I work for is about 6 million dollars, so I live about 90-minutes away in normal traffic where I can pay $750/month in rent. I work lots of hours (start at 8, usually leave between 6 and 8 with no real break between), so I’m looking at 14-16 hours between when I leave the house in the morning and when I return home. I also think ach night classes at the University on Mondays during the fall and Spring semesters, and have 3 night meetings a month between Council and Planning and Zoning. On the weekends I drive a couple hundred miles out of town to help with my parents.

If paying triple for a meal occasionally saves me 15-20 minutes it’s often absolutely worth it for the stress relief.

• Kiosade@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 days ago

Damn dude, I don’t know how you do all that! In any case I was just wondering more how people can afford to spend triple like… every day. Assuming one $30 delivered meal every day in a 30 day month, that’s $900 a month!

• Rediphile@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 days ago

$900 a month is quite affordable compared to hiring a private chef. It’s all relative.

I’m cheap af, but that doesn’t make me ‘right’. If I made $1000/h or something it would make complete sense to pay $30 for a $10 meal each day if it saved me even just 15 minutes of effort that could be put towards working instead. In that case, I’d argue it would be ‘wrong’ and wasteful economically not to use the service.

• Kiosade@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 days ago

Yeah true. I guess these people I see ordering it all the time must be doing pretty well for themselves, especially considering how much the rents at my apartment complex are 😅

• dejected_warp_core@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

they’re just mad because they didn’t think to do what Uber is doing and now they’re dying.

That and they’re mad because their virtual monopoly status didn’t protect them from market disruption. They just sat back, assuming that there was no way these rogue taxi services were going to evade the law for long. The fact that an entire industry acted on such a bad take suggests, to me, a lot of anti-competitive bullshit behind the scenes.

Anyway, I agree. All they had to do was either add rideshare-like features to their service, merge with rideshare services, or become one themselves. The investment capital was clearly there, and making a modernization pitch with brand recognition of an established taxi company would have been a slam-dunk.

• plantedworld@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 days ago

Once took a taxi downtown with my family when we were in a different city, and the drive home was twice as much as the drive there (second driver took a different route). My dad challenged him on it and he backed down an accepted the same fare as the first driver.

Same company, same rates, just a dbag driver

• CheeseNoodle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 days ago

The taxi industry hates you and buffalo buffalo buffalo Ubers main competative advantage is just breaking the law. Everyone sucks.

• Wogi@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 days ago

Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo is upstate New York for “yada yada yada”

It’s a dismissive. Meant to say “everything you said is basically the same as the first thing you said.”

• cm0002@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 days ago

main competative advantage is just breaking the law

If you’re talking employment law, then yea for sure

If you’re taking laws like those that cap taxis licenses arbitrarily that the Taxi industry pushed for so that bigger companies could buy them all up and establish a monopoly, then I can look the other way on those