Tesla said on Tuesday it was recalling most Cybertrucks in the United States over issues with their windshield wipers and exterior trim.

• wirehead@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

From the article: “Tesla began delivering the Blade Runner-inspired truck in November 2023”

Me: Fuck you. That is an insult to Syd Mead’s legacy.

• Ranvier@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

I guess it vaguely looks like this one in terms of the large flat plane in the front. Though it’s blade runner, so it’s all grungy like pieces are falling off and it’s all rusted and junk. Wait maybe cyber truck was inspired by bladeunner.

Doesn’t look much like a lot of other cars in the movie though.

• unexposedhazard
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

I mean (assuming thats the author idk) he was imagining a dystopian world, so this is a compliment in my book.

• scops@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 days ago

Syd Mead was a concept artist. Blade Runner was based on a short story by Philip K Dick called “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?”

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

I finally saw one in real life. On the highway. It’s shocking how aggressively dumb they look in person. Photos don’t do it justice. It seriously looks like a giant unrendered N64… thing.

• harrys_balzac@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Just saw a Wankpanzer for the first time last Friday and I agree. It is ugly and anyone who fell for this scam deserves every ounce of derision they receive.

• ChapulinColorado@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 days ago

I don’t commute to work daily but see them once in a while. I’d be lying if I didn’t say they scare me as the driver of a compact car. I’m just hoping whomever gets sliced by colliding (or being collided by) those monstrous things goes quickly. I can’t imagine what the scene will look like if we have a pedestrian near by while their stupid accelerator gets stuck again.

• Raiderkev@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 days ago

They literally can’t sell them in Europe because of the angles are too dangerous for pedestrians. It’s only legal in the good old US of A because we didn’t bother having safety regulations for pedestrians. The edge is literally a knife that will slice a person on impact. Absolutely moronic vehicle.

• NateNate60@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 days ago

I was walking to the grocery store when I saw a neighbour polishing his in front of his house. I said “Wow, a Cybertruck,” and he replied, “Cool, isn’t it?”

I said, “No, it’s a $120,000 go-kart made of scrap metal that will rust in a month.”

Edit: sounds fake but I do have a picture of the car in question, but I took it on a different day—

• NateNate60@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          3 days ago

Why would I make up the number 1 most common interaction between a Cybertruck owner and a normal person?

But here’s a picture I took of his car while he was attending church (across the street from the grocery store):

And yes, you can tell it is new because it doesn’t have a number plate yet.

The picture was taken on 30 March, the interaction happened a few days earlier

• triptrapper@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

No one’s questioning that you saw a Cybertruck, just that you actually said those things to the owner.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        3 days ago

This is the type of bs that should be in a Shower Thoughts comm.

But if a cypto-bro is making up making fun of a Tesla car, at least that’s progress.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            3 days ago

18 hours ago:

You can make significant money by trading crypto peer-to-peer. It is incredibly risky but you can make around 6-7% profit after fees. I made around 2,000-3,000 USD monthly, moving around 40,000 USD in volume. The main risks are chargebacks and account closures.

I don’t know. You tell me.

• NateNate60@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              3 days ago

(past tense)

But how do you define “crypto bro”? Sure not “any person who’s ever held cryptocurrency”, right? Because that would make 25% of the US population crypto bros.

I absolutely reject this categorisation. I don’t give a shit about crypto or any of the ideas behind it. It’s interesting from a technical perspective as a person who holds a computer science degree, but I’m in it for the money. Holding crypto is gambling, and nothing more.

The only crypto I hold now is for online poker sites and for buying precious metals on r/pmsforsale on Reddit.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                3 days ago

Lmao I’m not even going to bother with any of that BS you just typed, it’s so ridiculous.

“I move 40 grand around in crypto all the time, but I’m totally not a crypto bro. The risks are just that’s it’s bullshit that gets accounts closed”

I’m sorry man. But you are legit a crypto bro, and apparently a pretty scummy one at that. Guess I was the one you had to hear it from.

Be better.

• NateNate60@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  3 days ago

Read carefully, because it seems that reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Wiktionary defines “crypto bro” as “an enthusiastic cryptocurrency supporter, usually male, especially a dogmatic and condescending one”.

You may notice I do not fit any of those categories, besides perhaps being male.

For the adoption of cryptocurrency by businesses and states, I am apathetic, even mildly in opposition. As for being dogmatic, I entirely am not, because I don’t give a shit.

But I will admit, you have successfully tempted me into being condescending towards you.

• ripcord@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

One of the side effects from this is that this confirmed they’ve only shipped about 10,000 Cybertrucks.

• breadsmasher@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 days ago

Non-functioning wipers could increase the risk of a crash in wet weather

I would bet money musk tried to argue wipers were unrelated to safety

• schizo@forum.uncomfortable.business
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

So wait, they’ve gone from getting wet and having the bumpers fall off to getting wet and then instantly crashing?

I’m not sure that’s an actual improvement.

• Paradox@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

Almost like using a single giant wiper is a bad idea

Bbbbbbbut it looks cool!

• Optional@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

“Failures of the wiper motor shouldn’t come as a surprise,” said Sam Abuelsamid, an analyst at Guidehouse Insights.

“This is the largest individual wiper ever used on a light duty vehicle with a 4-foot-long (1.22 meter) blade. That exceptional long lever arm puts a lot of stress on the motor and there have been a lot of anecdotal reports popping up since early in production of failures,” he said, adding that the overall build quality of the Cybertruck is “quite poor.”

• ChapulinColorado@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 days ago

This strikes me as a way to bring in the thing to the dealership to address other more important issues like the accelerator while playing it down as “only a wipers issue”. They must be scared by oncoming lawsuits that they decided this was the best course of action.

• yesman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

The funniest thing about the Cybertruck is the windshield wiper. Not only does it ruin the science fiction ascetic by breaking up the flat surfaces, it breaks up the primary surface with a dumb squeegee arm. It’s also a little reminder that not only were the first wipers invented in 1903, but that they were fitted to electric vehicles.

I think they used one huge wiper in an attempt to make it look innovative by just by virtue of being unusual.