• threelonmusketeers@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

Can an airless tire ever be as cushioning as an airfull tire? Instead of compressing the entire volume of air, aren’t you essentially just compressing a small “spring” directly between the rim and the road?

• sabreW4K3@lazysoci.alOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

To be fair, the concept has been around a long time, however working prototypes are fairly new. Michelin and GoodYear have had their interactions being road tested for the past couple years, modifying the design as per the results of testing. Some changes have included the spokes design and all the rubber composite ratio. Just to be clear, the amount of tires in landfills around the world isn’t small, so these being a success is huge for the planet.

• rbn@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

On all pictures that I find, these airless tires have open sides. Wouldn’t that accumulate huge amounts of snow, dirt etc. over time? And if a small rock gets trapped between the rubber, that’s probably also not ideal for the longevity of the tire?

• Death__BySnuSnu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

My guess is that when they go into production, they’ll probably have sidewalls. I think the pre-prod ones are too show the technology inside.

• Thorny_Insight@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

I wonder why car tires don’t have sealant in them like tubeless bike tires. You can drive over nails and they seal themselves.

• MetricIsRight@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

As someone who has to deal with rims and tires all day, I freaking hope this never happens. I would rather be stabbed in the leg with a rusty knife than deal with tires packed with sealant.

I cannot even begin to count the number of times I’ve needed to used the emergency eyewash station because of tire sealant, even with eye protection, the stuff gets everywhere, and customers always seem to “forget” that they used an entire can of sealant to fix their tire leak so we get to be covered in the stuff for hours and scrub the machines down, the walls, the floors everything. Ask any Tire tech what they think of fix-a-flat or tire sealant and you’ll likely get a similar response.